Plugin Contributions

Default Tax Logic - who gets taxed?

v1.3.9h

I'm looking for an explanation of how Zen Cart determines whether or not Sales Tax should be applied to an order.

I've read lots of information about "how to set up sales tax" and did a test checkout for myself and saw tax got applied, but I've seen a number of orders come through with no tax applied, so I'd like to understand how that can happen.

Do I need to set up a Tax Zone for every state in the US and every country we could conceivably ship to (sounds daunting to me)? Can I just configure Zen Cart to apply my state's sales tax to all orders independent of where we are shipping to? Right now I'm thinking that the reason it "worked" for my test is because my address is in my store's Zone... maybe it's doing the right thing and I just don't recognize it.

Forgive my ignorance, but if anyone can shed some light on this murky topic, I'd really appreciate it!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen-Cart Tax Logic...

Do I need to set up a Tax Zone for every state in the US
    No, at this time you only need to tax for those that live in the same state you are located in
    You also need a tax license from your state
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax Logic - who gets taxed?

Quote Originally Posted by vicatcu View Post
    Do I need to set up a Tax Zone for every state in the US and every country we could conceivably ship to (sounds daunting to me)? Can I just configure Zen Cart to apply my state's sales tax to all orders independent of where we are shipping to?
    Those are questions which you should be asking your *Accountant* about. Any advice you find here about who gets charged tax is general, and not specific to your state, your store, your business, or your legal requirements.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.