Plugin Contributions

Default Giving Each Attribute A Different Part or SKU Number

Using 1.3.9g...
    I have products with different colors/sizes and have figured out how to assign prices to each of those attributes, but I cannot figure out how to assign a different part or sku number to each so it will print on the packing slip. Is there a way to do this currently or a workaround someone can suggest?

Additionally, I use Easy Populate to upload product so if there is a way to tweak that, I would be psyched! Thanks in advance for your help!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Giving Each Attribute A Different Part or SKU Number

The stock by attributes might assist but as far a your packing slip - this will take some custom code and might be covered or best asked in the support thread for that 3rd party module

As far as EP - - I believe that only the paid version does attributes
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    The stock by attributes might assist but as far a your packing slip - this will take some custom code and might be covered or best asked in the support thread for that 3rd party module

As far as EP - - I believe that only the paid version does attributes
    Sorry, didn't mean to confuse the issue...packing slip is generated elsewhere...just need the attribute to carry a model number through the to the end of the order. I will try Stock By Attributes and post an update. thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

No, there's no mod I know of that will assign model numbers to attributes. You can (and I have) kludge it by adding the model number to the attribute option name (ex Blue 12345), but that means you'll need to set up sparate attributes for each product.

Plugin Contributions

I looked at doing it that way but it seems that will cause all sorts of unmanageable issues in the long run...plus...I'll be kicking myself when it is time to upgrade to the major Zen Cart redesign! (When is that happening again? lol)
    I ended up just setting each up as a separate product page. Not ideal, but the better of existing options for the short term as far as I can tell.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Molly

Plugin Contributions

I really to chime in and "bump" this thread! We're desperately trying to find a way to assign model numbers to attributes and have that number act as the "model number" and carry all the way through the checkout process and appear as a separate line item.

I am aware that attribute selections show on on an order, but they aren't "real" model numbers. They're simply blocks of descriptive text.

Because we do such a high volume of orders, we use a 3rd party import module that beings our orders into Quickbooks. Because our orders have so many products with variations (size, color, etc), we can't do a clean import.

Has anyone had success figuring this out either through either an unknown module or 3rd part solution?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker View Post
    I really to chime in and "bump" this thread! We're desperately trying to find a way to assign model numbers to attributes and have that number act as the "model number" and carry all the way through the checkout process and appear as a separate line item.

I am aware that attribute selections show on on an order, but they aren't "real" model numbers. They're simply blocks of descriptive text.

Because we do such a high volume of orders, we use a 3rd party import module that beings our orders into Quickbooks. Because our orders have so many products with variations (size, color, etc), we can't do a clean import.

Has anyone had success figuring this out either through either an unknown module or 3rd part solution?

This is because we are looking at it wrong from the beginning. And this is a call for zencart developers to think about. For every manufacturer, or warehouse an attribute is non existing thing, since every type of item, its every single color or size of a same product in quickbooks is set as a specific (different) model or even a different SKU number, and is being treated as a separate product. Product A color red has its own model, product A color blue has its own model. When we are trying to sell product A and its color variations online we are trying to assign color variations as an Attribute. Because attirbutes are being treated by zencart as just a variation of a same product, while for quickbook its totally different product, its screwing things up on tracking inventory and mass exporting orders, because exporting software like QBI for example are tied to a Model number. So what is good for mom and pops shops, when they sell one product a day and hand typing the order into quickbooks, doesn't work for companies with larger sales. The solution is to have an ability to setup product A red and product A blue as separate product, but to be able to show this color (or size) variations via dropdown or checkbox on Product A red page just like Attributes does (of course with swapping a main image to the one that customer selects), and giving a customer an easy way to choose and add desired color/size to a cart, and in same time on backend not to have all these headaches with figuring out ways of how export an order with an attribute. If anything like this is already available i would be very appreciated to know where, since we are struggling with this issue.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simpledomaining View Post
    This is because we are looking at it wrong from the beginning. And this is a call for zencart developers to think about. For every manufacturer, or warehouse an attribute is non existing thing, since every type of item, its every single color or size of a same product in quickbooks is set as a specific (different) model or even a different SKU number, and is being treated as a separate product. Product A color red has its own model, product A color blue has its own model. When we are trying to sell product A and its color variations online we are trying to assign color variations as an Attribute. Because attirbutes are being treated by zencart as just a variation of a same product, while for quickbook its totally different product, its screwing things up on tracking inventory and mass exporting orders, because exporting software like QBI for example are tied to a Model number. So what is good for mom and pops shops, when they sell one product a day and hand typing the order into quickbooks, doesn't work for companies with larger sales. The solution is to have an ability to setup product A red and product A blue as separate product, but to be able to show this color (or size) variations via dropdown or checkbox on Product A red page just like Attributes does (of course with swapping a main image to the one that customer selects), and giving a customer an easy way to choose and add desired color/size to a cart, and in same time on backend not to have all these headaches with figuring out ways of how export an order with an attribute. If anything like this is already available i would be very appreciated to know where, since we are struggling with this issue.
    So easy export is an application that allows export of table data. Version 4 of this has the ability to work with one version of Stock by Attributes (essentially a method of assigning something specific to said attribute group or individual attribute.) It does not currently accept the additional field that has been added by potteryhouse's version of Stock By Attributes, but that modification is being considered for incorporation (time allowing). It would seem that if this is the business model to be used that that combination of utilities would provide the desired result.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

so far i dont know any application that will export order of a product with an attribute, where Shirt A color red is assigned to its unique Model in quickbooks, and quickbooks will understand to take that particular products model out of inventory without us manually messing with the order in quickbooks, or without us setting up each attribute as a separate product in zencart. "Stock by attribute" is still an attribute for qb, its not another model. Good to know this issue is understood and being considered for solving. thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker View Post

sportbiker,

I'm not sure which 3rd party application you are using to export your orders to QuickBooks, but SuperManager is another 3rd party application, which allows you to assign each unique product attribute combination to a different QuickBooks item. It sounds like it would be capable of giving you a much cleaner import to QuickBooks. You can try it free for 30 days to find out if it will work for you. http://www.thesupermanager.com/trial.html.