Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How do I backup my site/template before I customize it?

I am using 1.3.9h. I am trying to change the template. Before I make changes, I would like to save the site as it is now in case I screw up the changes. Instructions read: NOTE: Always backup the files in /languages/english/html_includes/your_template

My problem is I don't know where to find /languages/english/html_includes/your_template

There are several other things I need to change, but all of the explanations are very similar to the above and I don't know where to go to start looking for these things.

I am sure once I get directions, the problem is simple, but I can't find the starting place. Any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I backup my site/template before I customize it?

You would use your FTP program to download files to your local computer so you can edit them. Many here save copies of edited files on their local computer before uploading to the server, so we always have copies of changed files with the most current changes.

I also use the File Manager in my hosting account's Cpanel software to Compress (zip) the root directory into a zip file on a regular basis, then download that zip file to my local computer, so I always have a recent backup. I also create a backup of the database using phpMyAdmin.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I am sure all of the things you mentioned are great ideas except I have no idea of what you are explaining. This is my first attempt at building an ecommerce site. I have been the updater and changer of merchandise, prices etc, but I have not started the file from scratch.

I still need to know where I can find /languages/english/html_includes/your_template

Plugin Contributions

You would use your FTP program to download files to your local computer so you can edit them
    Thank you. I am sure all of the things you mentioned are great ideas except I have no idea of what you are explaining
    I still need to know where I can find /languages/english/html_includes/your_template
    If you ...
    (1) don't know how to use FTP, and ...
    (2) don't understand what stevesh said, and ...
    (3) don't know where to find the template files when the location of them has been given to you, then ...
    (4) I suggest you leave things well alone.

I'm sorry but you can't just start playing around with a Zen Cart site when you have absolutely no idea what you are doing - especially if it is an existing "live" website. That's just a recipe for disaster, and it'll probably end with you screwing the whole site up.

My advice is to make a start by installing an offline web server (Intranet) on your PC and installing Zen Cart on that. XAMPP has a very good 1-click installer (http://www.apachefriends.org/en), and this will install everything you need to be able then to install Zen Cart on your PC. You can learn using that and if you make a mess of things (and we've all done that when starting out) then it doesn't matter - you can always keep a copy of the files before editing them and restore then, or just re-install Zen Cart and start again.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. Sounds like good advice. I have downloaded what you told me to and put it in the applications file. Now how do I get a zen cart in it to work on?

Also, why won't anyone tell me how to get to:

/languages/english/html_includes/your_template

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ccgstu5 View Post
    Also, why won't anyone tell me how to get to:

/languages/english/html_includes/your_template
    Because that isn't really a Zencart question. All your files can be accessed using an FTP program. Filezilla is a good, free one.

Plugin Contributions

I have downloaded what you told me to and put it in the applications file. Now how do I get a zen cart in it to work on?
    Are you saying that you downloaded and installed XAMPP - and that it is working?

If so the the next thing to do is to download and unzip Zen Cart 1.3.9h from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenc...0.zip/download

When you have unzipped it then create a folder called 'zen' (or whatever you want to call it) inside the XAMPP 'htdocs' folder. Put all of the folders and files which you find inside the folder of the unzipped Zen Cart (admin, cache, docs etc.) into the folder you created inside the htdocs folder.

Then go to http://localhost and use the Security link to set up a MySQL User Name and Password, and then go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin and create a database.

Then you can go to http://localhost/zen/zc_install and install Zen Cart.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

XAMPP is downloaded and put in applications folder. When I click on it it opens a window giving me a choice of apache or ftp. Which one do I choose?

Plugin Contributions

The file you should have downloaded is the "Installer" version, which has the following name:
    xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-installer.exe

It sounds like you downloaded the Binary version, which you have to manually install.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I imagine you are right. I have a Mac OS 10.4.11 and it was the only one I found for it. It is a beta file and not a good choice for me, but it was all I found.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast