Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Pages Painfully Slow

Your site has a total of 9118 products, which is not a humongous amount of products, but I only find 69 products under "Sewing and Quilting" and just 1 product under "Kids Crafts" - the remainder are not assigned to any category.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

This might give some clues too...I used Easy Populate to upload 9,000 + products. the last few batches I uploaded into Easy Populate gave me a 500 error even though the products did populate to the site. Was that just a hacker safety or did I do something to anger the database that would cause product detail page slowness?

thanks again,
    Molly

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    Your site has a total of 9118 products, which is not a humongous amount of products, but I only find 69 products under "Sewing and Quilting" and just 1 product under "Kids Crafts" - the remainder are not assigned to any category.

Vger
    Weird - I will take a look at that...would that cause this issue? (Obviously, I need to fix it either way!)

Thanks so much,
    Molly

Plugin Contributions

My advice is to sit down with a cup of coffee, pen and paper and thinking cap firmly on head - then work out what Main Categories you want for your products, and then work out the Sub-Categories for each Main Category - and then move the products into their relevant Sub-Category.

The "thinking it out" phase will take some time, because this will determine how you present your products - and you don't want to have to redo it.

The moving of the products will take even longer, but it will be worth it in the end - because when people click on the link for that Sub-Category only that sub-category will be queried (and not all "loose" products).

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    My advice is to sit down with a cup of coffee, pen and paper and thinking cap firmly on head - then work out what Main Categories you want for your products, and then work out the Sub-Categories for each Main Category - and then move the products into their relevant Sub-Category.

The "thinking it out" phase will take some time, because this will determine how you present your products - and you don't want to have to redo it.

The moving of the products will take even longer, but it will be worth it in the end - because when people click on the link for that Sub-Category only that sub-category will be queried (and not all "loose" products).

Vger
    Good advice, Vger. Thank you.
    I have a spreadsheet that uses existing taxonomy to organize the site but wanted to do just one category to make sure the functionality worked before I populated 45,000 products.

There was an error of some kind when I uploaded the initial products in Easy Populate that cause some products to upload outside of any category...they could not even be seen in the admin...but were live on the site. I ran a query to delete all of the products and clear the tables of anything funky, turned off the template, and still...the product detail pages are running crazy slow with nothing on them. I then uploaded a small selection of products to continue to test.

I compared the source of the pages that are loading quickly and these slow loading product detail pages and found some javascript being called into the head of the product detail pages - where can I edit this code to remove it and see if it helps? :

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="includes/modules/pages/product_info/jscript_textarea_counter.js"></script>
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"><!--
    function popupWindow(url) {
      window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=100,height=100,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,left=150')
    }
    function popupWindowPrice(url) {
      window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=600,height=400,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,left=150')
    }
    //--></script>
    </head>
    thanks!
    Molly

Plugin Contributions

OK - well, I found that code, removed it, didn't make a difference.
    Maybe it is my host? But why would that cause super-slowness only on product pages? Sorry to be spazzing out...just really wanting to figure this out and am not so strong on the development side. :)

thanks to all,
    Molly

Plugin Contributions

It's the queries which have to be executed when you move to a product page, and the fact that your current host is known for having exceedingly slow servers, by virtue of the fact that they are vastly overcrowded - that's the problem.

Vger

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    ... I would have to start thinking hosting issues. Then I pull your DNS and see where you are hosted and have to look no further... You need to get a decent webhost.

~Melanie
    Agreed.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Just found the page that executes all the DB queries to render the product pages...wow! Now I see why this requires a better hosting environment. Makes sense now why these pages are having the most trouble.

Would upgrading to Virtual Private Server or a Dedicated Server with my current host (GoDaddy) be an option? I am nervous to switch hosts...my learning curve, uptime, support...so much that could go wrong! (plus I have purchased hosting for the next year already with GoDaddy which they may be able to transfer some kind of credit to a new plan.) What do you think?

Thanks so much,
    Molly

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by craftideasweekly View Post
    Would upgrading to Virtual Private Server or a Dedicated Server with my current host (GoDaddy) be an option? I am nervous to switch hosts...
    Switching to another unnecessarily expensive plan with your current host involves the same steps technically as would a move to another host. You still have to switch *servers* in either case.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=100
    Better to be putting the effort into being with a more reliable host than to waste it on the existing one.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast