Plugin Contributions

Default Google Base Feeder-Compliant with new changes to Google data feeds specifications?

Link to Feeds Specification

Link to New Requirements

I am using the Google base feeder contribution, it's been great for getting traffic to my store. I just received notification today that Google is changing things up. Does anyone know if Google Base Feeder is compliant with these new regs? If not, we are going to have to find someone to rewrite it or write a new one!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Base Feeder-Compliant with new changes to Google data feeds specifications

As far as I am aware, Google is starting to get "sticky" about the inclusion of valid Product Codes in the feed. Valid codes are considered to be the product's UPC (Universal Product Code), which (for most branded goods) is the 10, or 13-digit number that is commonly used in the barcode.

What Google is trying to do, is create a "level playing field". Some users of GoogleBase try to "pass off" counterfeit, or generic products, as branded products, and these can show up in the shopping results as being named the SAME as their branded counterparts. These generics are almost always cheaper, and the result is confused shoppers, who can also run the risk of being mislead, or worse... be conned into buying a fake.

Google will eventually NOT list a product that it believes is indeed a Branded Product that owns a legitimate UPC - and that UPC is not in your feed. Shop owners who provide feeds where the UPC is omitted for branded goods will have these products disabled.

The Googlebase module will generate a xml field for the MODEL NUMBER in zencart, and wraps it inside the g:mpn tags:
    <g:mpn>9876543212345</g:mpn>

If the DATA in this field is valid, and it matches up with the product title, all should be OK.

NUMINIX has a module that adds exra product fields, and in the Googlebase admin you can invoke these fields in the feed IF you have extra fields installed.

I am not sure whether Google expects both MPN and UPN, or whether it will accept either MPN or UPC
    Our latest project is Pet Tags.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Base Feeder-Compliant with new changes to Google data feeds specifications

I understand. That does not answer my question, however. If you followed the links I posted and read the mind numbing techno - babble that Google has posted, you know that there are numerous changes...far more than just the basic requirements you mentioned. I'm still not sure if the Google base feeder module is up to supplying all the new requirements.

Plugin Contributions

Hi All I have the same problem, google has updated a lot (!!) of their requirements for submitting feeds & now, short of sitting down for about a weekend to hand code all of the new requirements I am lookng to see if someone has reconfigured the google base feeder with these new parameters. Is there anyone out there done this or know if it has been done?

thanks in advance,
    regards,

ed

Plugin Contributions

Bump since Google just sent another notice about these changes, and the deadline is the 22nd of this month.
    Bumble Bee Template - my first contribution!

The best way to learn is to try stuff. But, back it up first.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    Bump since Google just sent another notice about these changes, and the deadline is the 22nd of this month.
    I just received an email from google regarding this. I followed their link for the video and currently some women is speaking martian to me, so it doesn't look like i'll be able to make the necessary changes.

Does anyone know if the current feeder is sufficient or will my account be suspended on the 22nd?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by moesoap View Post
    I just received an email from google regarding this. I followed their link for the video and currently some women is speaking martian to me, so it doesn't look like i'll be able to make the necessary changes.

Does anyone know if the current feeder is sufficient or will my account be suspended on the 22nd?
    The short answer is no, it isn't sufficient. The long answer is that Numinix is working on it. See this thread:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67850
    Bumble Bee Template - my first contribution!

The best way to learn is to try stuff. But, back it up first.