Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Yelled about Paypal Add Shipping After THey Log Into Paypal?

That's a limitation imposed by PayPal's technology and the API spec used in that version of Zen Cart.

There's nothing defrauding about it. There's nothing misleading about it. Your complaining customers simply misunderstand how it works. There's no way to magically guess shipping costs without first getting the customer's address. That's why the customer is returned to your store for shipping quotes after giving their address to PayPal to share with you.
    So, since you've found that your demographic of customers is close-minded to their expectations of how things work, it is best in your case to disable that button. But you knew that already.

Clearly you're venting. But be careful when venting that you don't go making broad sweeping statements that others might take as strong official advice.

A future version of Zen Cart will use a newer API spec from PayPal which coddles the customer more by attempting to calculate shipping mid-stream magically while the customer is still at PayPal.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Yelled about Paypal Add Shipping After THey Log Into Paypal?

Dr Byte.
    I like that it will do it within Paypal.
    Before even reading this post we disabled it from the Module in Admin.
    Stephen
    Jars Bottles Direct Trading as SS Croxson Enterprises Pty Ltd
    http://www.jarsbottlesdirect.com.au

Plugin Contributions

Would it be possibe to present shipping options (as selector radio buttons) just above every instance where the paypal express button appears (when a shipping charge is mandatory for the customer).

So for example... on the LOGIN/REGISTER page, where the express option is commonly visible, would it be possible to have something like:

If shipping is required, then the paypal button is INOPERATIVE until/unless a valid shipping selection is made?
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

GOSH... WHAT AM I THINKING ???

The above is pointless... if shipping is DEPENDANT on address, then there is no way we know this at this stage...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by batman42ca View Post
    I found that it wasn't quite so simple as turning off Express Checkout.

Some text gets left behind (version 1.3.9h)

I also had to do the following WHICH IS NOT NECESSARY FROM v1.5.0 onward:

To hide the "pay directly through paypal" buttons and text, add this to the css

Code:
    #loginDefault legend + div { /* remove the paypal express info */
      display : none;
    }

#loginDefault span.larger + br { /* remove the unneeded br character */
    }

#loginDefault hr {
    }

#loginDefault .larger { /* remove the "OR" text */
    }
    Just curious where this code goes? this is something that has bothered my customers too.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

They're talking about your stylesheet.

If you upgrade to v1.5.0 you won't have the problem.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by batman42ca View Post
    I found that it wasn't quite so simple as turning off Express Checkout.

Some text gets left behind (version 1.3.9h)

I also had to do the following WHICH IS NOT NECESSARY FROM v1.5.0 onward:

To hide the "pay directly through paypal" buttons and text, add this to the css

Code:
    #loginDefault legend + div { /* remove the paypal express info */
    }

#loginDefault span.larger + br { /* remove the unneeded br character */
    }

#loginDefault hr {
    }

#loginDefault .larger { /* remove the "OR" text */
    }

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of intelligent people on here who are always willing to help others in need and this is one of the finest examples I have seen.

So I for one would like to say thank you so very much for sharing this code as I was about to edit the file to remove this text from showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyeo View Post
    Just curious where this code goes? this is something that has bothered my customers too.
    As DrByte said just add it to your stylesheet file. If using the standard template it's called stylesheet.css and where you add it doesn't really matter. In my case I just added it to the bottom of the stylesheet that I am using.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Even better yet, upgrade to the latest version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12