Plugin Contributions

Default Host disabling PHPMail function

I have received the following email from my host
    Thank you for having subscribed to our Linux Shared Hosting services. Your domain is hosted on edinburgh.theukhost.net. This email is to notify that we would be disabling PHPMail function on all our Linux Shared Hosting Servers effective 29th July 2011. During the server audits we conducted after the recent mail issues faced by many of our Linux Shared Hosting customers, we found out that
    many spam emails were being sent out from the server using different spamming scripts with the help of PHPMail function. This resulted in mail server IPs being blocked in many RBLs/ACLs and the legitimate emails were also being rejected as a result of this.

In order to avoid any further blacklisting of IPs or other email issues, we are disabling the PHPMail function on all our Linux Shared Hosting Servers by 28th July 2011. If you are using PHPMail function, you will need to update the scripts and use SMTP authentication. Emails won't be sent out from these servers without enabling SMTP authentication. We
    request you to update the scripts before 29th July 2011 in order to avoid any inconvenience as these changes will come into effect on all Linux Shared Servers by then.

You can dowload a sample SMTP authentication script from http://edinburgh.theukhost.net/smtp.txt
    I have changed the email options to SMTPauth and entered all the relevant information. Emails appear to be working fine.
    Is there anything else I need to do before they disable phpmail?
    The reference to modifying a script has me thinking I should edit a file, but I have no idea where to look.

Using 1.3.9h (fresh installation)

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Host disabling PHPMail function

Quote Originally Posted by gsh68 View Post
    I have changed the email options to SMTPauth and entered all the relevant information. Emails appear to be working fine.
    Is there anything else I need to do before they disable phpmail?
    You should be fine. Nothing more for you to do.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    I am having the same problems. Would you be able to explain how to change to SMTPauth? I know it is easy but I want to make sure I have done correctly. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    No worries I have done it. It was quite easy in the end and your webhost can give you all the information anyway except for your password of course.