Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Tax not calculating

I am new to Zen Cart Using the latest version 1.3.9h
    Small store, small inventory. Pretty basic.
    Using a template from Template Author : Samad S. and IBSolutionsco.com Template Version : 1 Darkness
    I got the temple here of course. This is my problem. I cannot get the tax rate to add to the order. I have gone over the setup 5 times. There is only one tax rate so this is pretty simple. I have a green light on Zones and Taxes Defined. I have searched here forever it seems for a clue, pun intended. When I have found a thread close it has been solved by pm which does not really help me a whole bunch.
    I am missing something and need some pointers where to look.
    Store site: tuff-itout.com/store

I am very frustrated and would appreciate a pointer or two OUTSIDE of the basics in setting up sales tax. I have gone over that way too many times now and it has to be a setting I am missing outside of those basics. Could someone please have kindness on this weary un zen cart savy sole and help. please.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax not calculating

Check your Zone Definition and see what you have set for the ...
    Zone:

Check the Tax and make sure it is set to ...
    Priority: 1

That the setting is for:
    Taxable Goods

and that your Product is set to Taxable goods ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I have checked double checked and rechecked. and you know what I am going to check again Before I say it is still not working..
    I did enter products before I configured the tax module, and did go back and indicate each product as taxable. so....just gonna check again.

Plugin Contributions

Ok I have checked and double checked and then checked again. I have everything set up zones, classes, rates and products being indicated as taxable goods. I am including a few screen shots of what I see in the admin and at the same time what is happen in the store live. The tax is showing in the products screen shot 1 at same time as a customer checking out...no tax is calculated. I could use some direction on where to look so these two are "connected" properly and tax is calculated in the check out process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	productsettings.gif 
Views:	160 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	9537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	customertotal.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	9538  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Out of the box, this is how Zen Cart works:

- you create products with an assigned Tax Class
    - customer has an address, which is connected to a country and state/province
    - you create Zone Definitions, which are a combination of countries and states/provinces
    - you assign a tax rate to the combination of that Zone Definition and the Tax Class
    - when a customer whose address is in that country/state combination defined by your Zone Definition associated with that Tax Class adds that product to their cart, that assigned Tax Rate is used to calculate the applicable tax for the order

Common causes of that not working:
    - addons that break or change tax calculations
    - ot_tax Order Total module turned off in Admin->Modules->Order Total
    - countries deleted from database, ie: Admin->Locations/Taxes->Countries
    - states/provinces/zones deleted from Admin->Locations/Taxes->Zones
    - customers/addresses imported incorrectly (instead of entered by hand by the customer) and thus have no associations properly connected to the master country/zone records in the database
    - fiddling with the Tax Basis settings in Admin->Configuration->My Store. The default of "Shipping" is appropriate for most webstores, and should only be changed after consultation with your tax attorney/professional
    - you've changed the store to "Tax Included in Prices" to True instead of False, and thus you're assuming that tax should be added, when you've told it you've already built tax into the prices.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I checked all of the areas that may be a problem. I have no add ons this is straight "out of the box" zen cart.
    ot_tax is turned on. no countries deleted no zones deleted - I do not have the tax included in prices.

So what I am understanding at this point is I have to configure a Zone Definition for every state/country the product is available in.
    Then apply the tax class that is appropriate for that zone. I do believe I am understanding this now. Give me a thumb up if this is correct.

Once again Dr. Byte I am assuming to much and thought this would work a little different then this. Will I ever learn???

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You only need tax rates for the states for which you collect tax.
    And thus you only need Zone Definitions for those same states.
    Anything else is overkill, at least as far as taxes are concerned.

What zones definitions have you created? What country and states are assigned into that zone's definition (via the pulldowns)?
    And then what address were you testing with in your checkout when you said it wasn't calculating?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The zones definitions were for one state only. Then I was told I had to set it up to collect the stores address state taxes on all sales.
    I am no tax expert. What do I know. I am no expert at setting up a shopping cart either obviously. I asked the store owner to confirm that the store state sales tax had to be collected on all sales.
    If that is the case then I can make one zone for the US. with one class applied.
    I have one zone set for the US right now and it is calculating.
    I am just not sure the store should be collecting the store's location state sales tax on all sales no matter where the customer is from.
    I asked the the store owner to confirm this with their tax expert.

The good news...I figured out how to make this work with your help and understand more of zen cart. thank you agian.

Plugin Contributions

I am mostly new to Zen Cart Using the latest version 1.3.9g
    i have some custom work setup for my templates, and i'm terrified of breaking it so let's not discuss the upgrade to h yet.

I'm having some of the same issues as you Colorowdy.

I need to collect sales tax for Texas (6.25%) for any item i sell anywhere in the US. if i use a Texas shipping address, it adds it in. If I use an address anywhere else, even if I setup a zone for that state specifically, it doesn't include it in the total. It's calculating the tax, but then it doesn't add it to the total. Anyone got an answer for that?

I am losing my mind. I've been over the setup like probably 10 times now.

Plugin Contributions

In the Configuration ... My Store ... there is a setting on whether to use the Shipping Address or the Payment Address to base the Tax on ...

By default, this is set to be based on the Shipping Address ...

If you need to change that to the Billing Address, then change the setting on:
    Basis of Product Tax
    On what basis is Product Tax calculated. Options are
    Shipping - Based on customers Shipping Address
    Billing Based on customers Billing address
    Store - Based on Store address if Billing/Shipping Zone equals Store zone

Shipping
    Billing
    Store
    to be for the Payment Address ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast