Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax not calculating

Quote Originally Posted by leabuff View Post
    I am mostly new to Zen Cart Using the latest version 1.3.9g
    i have some custom work setup for my templates, and i'm terrified of breaking it so let's not discuss the upgrade to h yet.

I'm having some of the same issues as you Colorowdy.

I need to collect sales tax for Texas (6.25%) for any item i sell anywhere in the US. if i use a Texas shipping address, it adds it in. If I use an address anywhere else, even if I setup a zone for that state specifically, it doesn't include it in the total. It's calculating the tax, but then it doesn't add it to the total. Anyone got an answer for that?

I am losing my mind. I've been over the setup like probably 10 times now.
    I have gotten it to calculate and add in. Make sure you have taxable goods checked on the products.
    Here is what I did that made it work. Everything bolded is a heading plain text is what I entered or chose from a drop down menu.
    In the tab: locations/taxes
    Zone Definitions
    Zone Name: United States

Zone Description
    Sales tax

Tax Classes
    Taxable goods

Tax Rates
    Priority: 1
    Tax Class
    Taxable goods
    Zone United States
    Tax Rate 8.25%
    Description
    Sales Tax

Hope this helps I know I struggled for a day or two with this one.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah. it basically hates me. I have it set to calculate the tax based on the store, not on the shipping or billing address.

I keep hoping one time it will stick and it will magically add the tax into the total and I can get on with my life. Alas, for this time, it is not to be.

I'll keep trying. It's the definition of insanity, but the US approach all the way through was a different approach. Still no joy though.

Plugin Contributions

So I finally got it to work, though not how I wanted. With everything set to the US with one tax rate, I labeled the tax rate as TX Sales Tax and then just set it draw it from shipping address zone instead of store zone. So it's working, and is technically correct, just not how i wanted.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The correct way is to use Shipping as the Tax Basis.
    Using "Store Zone" is seldom if ever appropriate, and only works in very isolated situations, and certainly not for TX taxes.

When you set up your zone definition, click on the Define button and select United States from the countries list, and Texas from the States list. Then link your tax rate to that zone. It's all explained in the FAQ/Tutorial article on setting up taxes.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12