Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Free Shipping With USPS ONLY, Not UPS

I want to be able to offer free shipping by USPS First Class shipping only on orders of $50 or more. I want to offer the option of paid shipping by Priority Mail USPS International, UPS and FedEx if the customer does not want USPS First Class, so that the customer can get insurance and tracking if they would rather do that than have First Class (which offers neither insurance or tracking). How could I do that?

I tried to check out with the cart and $60 worth of goods and it just showed up free shipping and did not allow me to change to the UPS shipping option at my expense.

I am using the "Free Options" module on the cart, and using Version 1.3.9h. Thank you for any help you can give me. I really want to avoid putting a sign up somewhere which says that if you have an order of >$50 e-mail me for the UPS charge.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free Shipping With USPS ONLY, Not UPS

Check that you do not have turned on the Modules ... Order Total ... Shipping ot_shipping with the Free Shipping Over enabled ...

If that is turned on, turn off the Free Shipping Over feature ...

Now the shipping methods should show and the Free Shipping Options freeoptions on Total >= 50.00 will display ...

Keep in mind that USPS First Class will only be available on orders of 13oz or less ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I will give that a try today.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I am having a bit of a problem here, and I am sure I am making a small mistake but it is stopping me. Here is a screenshot of my admin panel when I go to Modules, order total, shipping, shipping ot_shipping (here is a screenshot, it was pretty big and could not be reduced and still read so it's on my site as an image).

So, first I turned the radio button to "False" under "Allow Free Shipping" on the right hand column. That didn't work. Then I tried to take out the "50" under "Free Shipping for Orders Over" and that didn't work either.

What am I doing wrong. This is in the area of my cart: Admin Panel-->Modules-->Order Total

I am not getting where the On or Off button is for "Free Shipping Over" I just have a "Free Shipping For Orders Over" then a box where you can put in the figure for which you offer free shipping.

Thanks, I am probably not seeing the forest for the trees here.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Are you saying that I should go into the Shipping Modules--->Freeoptions area and turn that on as well? It is turned off on my cart. Thanks.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

I want you to go to Modules ... Order Totals ... and click on Shipping ot_shipping ... and then edit that and turn off the Allow Free Shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

SUPER! It worked like a charm. I turned off Allow Free Shipping in the Modules---> Shipping--->ot_shipping. THEN I went into Shipping Module--->Free Shipping Options (freeoptions)-->turned that on (it was off)-->edited it --> Enable Free Options Shipping to TRUE-->and then to TOTAL>=50.00

Saved all of that and put the cart through its paces. I tried checkout with more than and less than $50 purchase, then domestic and International addresses, worked great.

There is one last detail: When I check out it gives a box for free shipping which looks like this:

FREE SHIPPING
    Free Shipping $0.00

But, I would like it to read:
    FREE SHIPPING
    My Store free shipping is First Class USPS if you want another mode of shipping you must pay for it and can choose it from the list below $0.00

So, I would get a copy of my checkout_shipping file from the cart, modify it in my text editor to read what I want it to (that was pretty obvious when I opened the checkout_shipping page in my editor...I just avoided any punctuations and put it all between the '). Then load up to /includes/languages/english/magic/

I hope that is right because it has been a long time since I had to create a template override but I think I am on the right track (I am trying to read along with the book by Goh Koon Hoek and I think that is how I did it the last time).

In any case, thank you so much for your help on this. I am sorry to be a bit obtuse but this is a complex thing and I did want to get it right.
    The Zen of cat.

Plugin Contributions

Do you have an URL to your site that we could perhaps peek at?

I think what you are really wanting requires customization of the USPS shipping module and will only work on orders of $50.00 or more and when weight is <= 13oz to work with the limits of USPS on First Class ...

What do you want to do when the weight is greater than 13oz? USPS won't ship First Class ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

You could customize the USPS shipping module to manage the Free Shipping on orders over $50.00 and it will disappear if the weight goes over the amount allowed for First Class by adding the code to:
    /includes/modules/shipping/usps.php

that is set in RED:
    Code:
              $cost = preg_replace('/[^0-9.]/', '',  $cost);
    // bof: Ajust shipping amount for orders >= 50.00 for Free First Class
              if ($type == 'FIRST CLASS' && $order->info['total'] >= 50.00) {
                $title = 'USPS - Free First Class';
                $cost = 0.00;
              }
    // eof: Ajust shipping amount for orders >= 50.00 for Free First Class
              $methods[] = array('id' => $type,
    Then, you do not even need the Free Shipping Options freeoptions shipping module ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Sure, my url is www.possets.com.

Here is what I do: My domestic First Class shipping labels are bought through Pay Pal and they will not allow more than 13 oz as First Class as you pointed out. However, I go ahead and bump it up to Priority Mail when I am sitting down and inputting the info into PayPal to get the shipping labels out, I just make orders > 13 oz into Priority Mail labels. Since I am paying for it, the small extra charge is not a big deal and is more than offset by a larger order.

I use Endicia for International shipping. They do allow First Class over 13 oz. I do that all the time, too. If I get orders which are heavier than 13 oz., they generally come from overseas.

I hope this makes sense.
    The Zen of cat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast