Plugin Contributions

Default Adding modules advice....

Hi there
    I need some advice here about adding zencart modules and what software to use and what to look for when adding/merging files.

Brief history:- I had a shopping cart that had lots of modules, such as fckeditor, rewards module etc etc.... Somewhere in the process certain core files could have been overwritten from files from the modules.

As a result, when i came to add attributes to the products it would not let me do this. There was a error somewhere etc....

Now, i am in the process of rebuilding my shop with certain modules that i require. And i an using winmerge to do this.

What my main question is when using winmerge and you are comparing two files, original and the module file would merging the files together cause any issues in the shop....?

Has anyone had any experience of this or is there a method to add modules succesfully without causing issues etc ....?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding modules advice....

Quote Originally Posted by amebb View Post

What my main question is when using winmerge and you are comparing two files, original and the module file would merging the files together cause any issues in the shop....?
    It can, if you're adding a mod which modifies a file which has already been modified by you or another mod. Far as I know, there isn't any easy way to do that other than comparing each already-modified file with a clean, unmodified version to see what the first mod did, then the new mod file to the clean version, then the two modified files with each other. It can be pretty simple, or nearly impossible if you, like me, don't know PHP.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding modules advice....

Thats what i was trying to do. Im not an expert on php very novice to be honest.

I have been using winmerge but wasnt sure if it was as simple as merging two files together and getting the end result - a merged file and using that.....

I think the key may be to do it step at a time and NOT to go over the top with modules....

hmmmm