Plugin Contributions

Default Need Help, About to Give Up!!

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for days trying to learn how to simply customize my cart page. When I chose zen cart as the one to use I had nooooo idea it would involve learning 2 new languages and take customizing many pages, one for each portion of the page you want to customize... and then i also remember reading that if you use one of the folders provided, that all of your changes will disappear on the next update.

Am I making this all more difficult than this needs to be, or is there really so much involved to make the cart blend with the rest of my site a little bit?

I finally figured out how to change the h3boxHeading, but it changed more than the background color, and i can't find how to get the text in that box back to white. Simple request, simple customization, why oh why is it taking me days to figure it out? Is there another cart that can be customized easier? Or is there a way to just incorporate cart code into an existing web page?

Next I want to change the div id= "bannersix" class "banners"
    and the id=bannerbox and the "headerwrapper" LOL I didn't think I was an idiot, but i sure am feeling like it now. Please oh please can someone help or should i just give up?

Thanks for all you guys that take the time to answer and try to help with all these questions... I see there's thousands in this thread, and am so grateful to see this help! (Oh, and didn't want to spend $47 on the book not knowing if it will answer any of these questions, or if it has lots of info i don't need... anyone know the answer to these questions also?)

http://judystamps.com/cart/ (this is as far as i've gotten so far) Thank youuuuuuu!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Help, About to Give Up!!

Take a deep breath. There's a learning curve to styling Zencart, like any other software, but it isn't that bad, really.

First, you definitely need to create your custom template before you go any further, or you will lose all your work on your next upgrade.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=142

Then install the Firefox browser and the Web Developer plugin for Firefox. You can use those to see where in the stylesheet you change the styling of the various page elements.

Ctrl-Shift-Y will allow you to hover over a section of the page and see the class and id names for that section in the box at the top. The statements in the stylesheet that begin with # are id's and the ones that begin with dots are classes.

Ctrl-Shift-E will open the CSS editor and allow you to edit the stylesheet and see the changes in real time without changing anything permanently. An essential tool.

Some prefer Firebug, which does much the same thing.

(If you're using Firefox 4-6, you'll need to remap the editor shortcut, since Firefox has appropriated Ctrl-Shift-E for an internal function - I use Ctrl-Shift-Q.)

The Zencart book is very good, but contains almost nothing about styling.

Your sidebox headings look white to me.

You can't use Zencart as a cart script for an existing site.

The good news is that you don't have anything on the main site yet, so why not use Zencart as your whole site ? That's the recommended solution in most cases. You can use EZ pages for non-ecommerce content.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Steve! Had a breath, now using your suggestions and going back in! Excellent suggestion by the way to make this the main site instead of trying to blend the two, think that will definitely be easier. ok, headed to firefox now to try that way of styling.

formerly,

now,

LOL sorry, needed that break too. K, i'll be back!

Plugin Contributions

ooooooooo wait one more question..... how do i make this the main site? cuz it has to be an index in the main public_html directory... but i've got all the cart stuff installed in the /cart directory... ?

Plugin Contributions

Tutorials/FAQ section is your BFF:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122