Plugin Contributions

Default Adding a tax class to a Category

I am missing something in setting up taxes and I am making a plea for help. Below are the configuration settings checklist.

I am able to assign a tax definition to Shipping and that value is taxed.

What I am struggling on is... I have ZenCart attached to a Photo Gallery (Gallery2/G2). Each photo creates a product. That all works. What I am trying to figure out is how assign a tax rate to a Category, so that each product/photo that is added to a category is automatically assigned a tax class.

I can go in to each photo, aka Product/item individually and assign a tax class and taxes are calculated during checkout. All that works A-ok. What I am struggling with is... how to assign a tax class to a Category. I have tried to nest (if that is the right word) the Photo Category under an Item Type for General Products which has a default tax rate assigned to it. I believe it is referred to as a sub-category. But it is not assigning a tax class to each new item that is created. From everything I have read, this is how to go about it.

Sooooooo... I'm missing something because from all that I have researched, this is the approach, yes? Can anyone help me with how to assign a tax class to a Category so new products assigned to that Category will acquire the tax class by default?

tia

What are your store settings for these set to?
    Admin->Configuration->My Store
    a. Country/Zone USA
    b. Basis of Product Tax Billing
    c. Basis of Shipping Tax Shipping
    d. Display Prices With Tax False
    e. Display Prices With Tax-Admin False

2. What Zone Definitions have you created?
    Admin->Locations/Taxes->Zones Definitions

CO (colorado)

3. Inside each of those zone definitions, what country/zone combinations have been selected?
    Admin->Locations/Taxes->Zones Definitions, click on "Details" button for each zone

United State/Colorado

4. What tax classes do you have?
    Admin->Locations/Taxes->Tax Classes

Taxable Goods

5. What tax rates have you created?
    Admin->Locations/Taxes->Tax Rates

CO Tax 7.4%

6. What tax class have you associated with your products?
    Admin->Catalog->Categories/Products->click on a product to edit it

7. What tax class have you associated with each of your shipping modules?
    Admin->Modules->Shipping

none

Running ZenCart 1.3.9
    No Add-ons

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding a tax class to a Category

Ok, let me try to explain it this way, simpler. I have followed the instructions to add a default tax to a Category. My problem is when I go to Edit Layout for the particular Category (photos), the Layout screen is blank. There is no place for me to add the default tax ID number.

So, I go to Catalogue/Item Types, and click on Edit for the Product - Photos type (since Edit layout is blank). I reassign the Item Type under the drop down

"This item type should be considered a sub-type of"

And I assign it to Product General which does have a correct default tax ID assigned to it. I then add products to the Photo category which has been nested under Product General, but the tax is still not being added.

Help anyone? I keep staring at screens and searching for ideas hoping something will unfold... but am stumped.

Help?

Plugin Contributions

Anyone?

Plugin Contributions

No one has any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by drhiii View Post
    No one has any ideas?
    Doesn't look like it, I'm afraid...

However... I doubt this is possible... or if it is, it will require some very nifty code, and you will probably have to hire someone to do it for you.

The way the program is structured is that it (rightfully) assumes taxes are related to PRODUCTS, which are then associated with other factors, such as geographical locations (zones).

A CATEGORY is not something that can be sold, or have a monetary value associated with it.

Your solution will more than likely be a piece of code that firstly identifies a CATEGORY, but STILL applies tax classes to the products within it. A functionally possible procedure... but probably a bit complicated to code... especially if you want a nice "interface" in the admin panel to make appropriate selections.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the response. Got kind of lonely out there.

A year or so ago I come at this and was able to accomplish this by 'copying' atributes to a Category but today I it is not replicating the way I thought I had done. Maybe I am nuts, but I recall getting this to work and was hoping someone would land on the solution. Your explanation is of course correct... maybe I was imagining this before. Hmmm.

Anyway, thank you for your response. Not so lonely out there now.

Minnesota, whine country, where the grapes suffer
    Plugin Contributions

I have the same problem.

Here's my solution. Use PHPpanel and dump the table zen_products_to_categories to an CSV file and open it in excel

Then go into your admin->categories and drill down to the lowest level sub category that has products where you want to change their tax_class ... write down that category ID #

copy all product IDs from the spread sheet that have that matching category/sub-category #

in excel create something like Concatenate("Update zen_products Set products_tax_class_id = <your new id here> where products_id =", <excel cell # of ID>)
    copy that columm
    Paste into an excel query in phpadmin where that table is open into the query window

<GO>

sloppy... but it works