Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    My family and I live in Brighton, England
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Royal Mail Basic UK Shipping Modules

Question: When a customer selects an uninsured shipping option, I'd like the text to display something like: *Uninsured: Customer accepts responsibility*. Is it possible to have this occur automatically but only on the uninsured options?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Meltdown, the arbitrarily decided default across the modules is to display insurance where it applies. i.e. the inverse of what you have described. Where there is no insurance e.g. straight first or second class mail, nothing is shown.
    Where insurance applies, as in first class recorded mail, it explicitly states 'Insured up to 46' or whatever, pounds.

Plugin Contributions

And let me just add that if you want to change this, simply edit the text in the appropriate text in the languages files, found in the

/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping

folder, for each shipping method.

e.g.

for first class mail, you would edit the rmfirst.php file there and, for example, change the MODULES_SHIPPING_RMFIRST_DELIVERY_SHIPPING_TIME definition from 'Ships normally within 1 to 3 days', to
    'No Insurance, Ships normally within 1 to 3 days', and save the changes.

I should also mention that there is a LOT of flexibility in these modules. The standard installation is simply my idea of what people will probably want to get them up and going.
    You can set the minimum and maximum weights and goods values that will use a particular shipping method, and whether these should be checked at quote time.
    Some of the modules have an experimental 'Hide invalid shipping' option that would require these to be set to work.
    Handling and packaging fees, packaging weights, number of boxes per order, can be changed as well,
    etc etc
    All of which underlines why it is a very good idea to spend a bit of time thinking very carefully how you want to structure your shipping and what the consequences of those decisions are. e.g. if someone orders an item worth 500 pounds, and normal 1st shipping is selected, you'd better hope it doesn't get lost in the mail. Better to disable the ability to select the option.

Plugin Contributions

Chuckl, thanks for your detailed explanation. It seems, though, that I must have my head up my arse as I can't get my brain around a particular Compensation Rates issue: No matter the value of the items placed in the cart, it states the base compensation rate, i.e. Insured up to £46.

Example: On a £450.00 order, Destination US:

Royal Mail International Signed For (Delivery Weight : 1 package of 1.01 Kg's (Insured up to £46, Time to Ship: Normally within 3 to 5 days))
    Royal Mail Airsure (Delivery Weight : 1 package of 1.01 Kg's (Insured up to £46, Time to Ship: Normally within 3 to 5 days))
    My Compensation Rates for Royal Mail International Signed For are:
    46:0,500:2.60,1000:4.00
    My Compensation Rates for Royal Mail Airsure are:
    46:0,250:2.5,1000:3.95
    Can you spot where I'm making my mistake? Thanks ever so much for your help :)

Plugin Contributions

Meet me halfway, register as a customer on your site and log-in. :)

The Zen Cart core code considers insurance separate to shipping, so if you are not logged in to an account with a defined 'Ship To' address, the shipping estimator only includes the costs of shipping that weight to the Zone selected.

It is probably 'fixable' by changing a bit of code in each affected routine, - i.e.change $order->info['subtotal'] to $order->info['total'] in the 2 places the insurance is calculated in the affected routines, but I really have no idea of the wider ramifications of doing this, so YMMV.
    I'd leave well alone.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckl View Post
    Meet me halfway, register as a customer on your site and log-in. :)

The Zen Cart core code considers insurance separate to shipping, so if you are not logged in to an account with a defined 'Ship To' address, the shipping estimator only includes the costs of shipping that weight to the Zone selected.

It is probably 'fixable' by changing a bit of code in each affected routine, - i.e.change $order->info['subtotal'] to $order->info['total'] in the 2 places the insurance is calculated in the affected routines, but I really have no idea of the wider ramifications of doing this, so YMMV.
    I'd leave well alone.
    See, this is what I love about the forum; Another pair, or pairs, of eyes. I hadn't noticed that the login customer was seeing it differently!

No luck in swapping out $order->info['subtotal'] for $order->info['total'], it threw an error. Robert had a thought, though; Turn off the shipping estimator for non-logged-in customers. However, if I disable the estimator in admin/config/Shipping/Packaging it disables it completely, also when logged in. I'll look around for a fix to that... Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MeltDown View Post
    See, this is what I love about the forum; Another pair, or pairs, of eyes. I hadn't noticed that the login customer was seeing it differently!

No luck in swapping out $order->info['subtotal'] for $order->info['total'], it threw an error. Robert had a thought, though; Turn off the shipping estimator for non-logged-in customers. However, if I disable the estimator in admin/config/Shipping/Packaging it disables it completely, also when logged in. I'll look around for a fix to that... Thanks!
    OK, here's what I did to force the shipping estimator to display only when logged in: In includes/templates/your_template/templates/tpl_shopping_cart_default.php at around line 180, I changed this:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

break;
          case (
    SHOW_SHIPPING_ESTIMATOR_BUTTON == '2'):
    To this:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

break;
          case (
    $_SESSION['customer_id'] > && SHOW_SHIPPING_ESTIMATOR_BUTTON == '2'):
    My setting in admin/configuration/Shipping/Packaging/Shipping Estimator Display Settings for Shopping Cart is set to option "2".

Also, in define_shopping_cart.php I added the following text:
    If logged in to your account, your shipping options and costs are also listed below.
    This looks to be working well. Thanks again for your help!!

Plugin Contributions

Glad you got it sorted out to work the way you wanted it. It's always a toss up whether to achieve something by way of code/calculation or in the display process. MVC and all that I suppose.

Regards,

Chuck

Plugin Contributions

Some changes in Royal Mail delivery practices from next week -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09...ce_deliveries/

Plugin Contributions

Hi - just testing the shipping costs to the Isle of Man - and they are showing way more than (I think) they should - any way to check - and alter the IOM rates ?
    Thanks.
    (AFAIK - IOM is considered uk - so same as uk postage rates)
    Last edited by Vinyl Signs; 3 Jan 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast