Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Royal Mail Basic UK Shipping Modules

A Zen Cart port/update of the OsC 'UK Shipping Methods is now available from the downloads area 'Shipping Modules' section as 'Basic UK Mail':
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2001

The mod implements a basic set of UK Royal Mail shipping routines for UK based stores.

Features -

Shipping Methods Added:

(1) Royal Mail First Class Standard Post
    (2) Royal Mail First Class Recorded Post
    (3) Royal Mail Second Class Standard Post
    (4) Royal Mail Second Class Recorded Post
    (5) Royal Mail Standard Parcels
    (6) Royal Mail Airmail
    (7) Royal Mail International Signed for
    (8) Royal Mail Airsure
    (9) Royal Mail Surface
    (10) Parcelforce 48

All the Royal Mail methods along with the Parcelforce 48 method allow you to:-
    Set minimum and maximum delivery weights.
    Set minimum and maximum delivery values.
    Split shipments based on maximum delivery weight, maximum delivery value, or both, in combination with the built in Zen Cart shipment splitting.
    Shipping methods which have insurance options now allow you to set different charges for different compensation levels.
    Zen Cart Version : v1.3.9h

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Royal Mail Basic UK Shipping Modules

Hello Chucki... This mod will no doubt be warmly received.

But how does it differ from Big Royal Mail - functionally - if at all ?

I see you put a post on that thread too.

Plugin Contributions

Fairestcape, A difficult one to answer, since this is a port/modification of a totally different package, not an update of BRM. I only posted a note on the BRM thread to give people a heads up that there was another possible solution for them.
    Big Royal Mail implements a module for each and every one of the Royal Mail options. Basic UK Mail tries to give you a working shipping setup for the UK with a minimum of config and effort. The shipping options offered to customers are determined automatically, based on the most common criteria. If someone needs a really complex setup with all sorts of caveats, then it's probably not the package. Heck try it and see :)

(Oh, and give my regards to the fairest Cape when next you are there)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Chuckl,

Great to come out with a Royal Mail add on that works. I would love one more Shipping Methods Added: Royal Mail Airmail "Small Packet" as this would be the cheapest option for my customers.
    Do you know where I can find this information to implement in your Royal Mail Basic ?

Kim

Plugin Contributions

Kim,
    Thanks for the kind words, the whole 'ethos' behind the Basic Modules is that they should be easy to use and aimed at the typical users requirements.

This means that there are assumptions made about the proposed usage and inherent in the settings and config, such as that items being sent using the modules will be small packages rather than letters.

So I'm happy to be able to tell you that the rates in the 'Airmail' module ARE the Small Packet rates, and no changes are necessary..

You can get the current RM rates here, as a useful cross reference -
    ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/pu..._made_easy.pdf

Rgds,

Chuck

Plugin Contributions

Chuck,

Great news, I have immediately installed the 'Airmail' module.
    Many thanks.

Kim

Plugin Contributions

Hi Chuckl,

Thank you for releasing this module!

I was wondering if it was possible to include Royal Mail's Special Next Day Delivery (http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/b...ery-next-day)?

Also, in the shopping cart you can click to pay via PayPal (Express) and it will take you straight onto the PayPal side without selecting a shipping option, how does this module handle that?

Plugin Contributions

Ashley, The Royal Mail Special Next Day as in rmspecial.php is already the Royal Mail Special Next Day delivery module. There are a couple of problems with that statement -

Firstly, the Basic UK mail modules are set up with a default assumption that the user is a small business paying the 'over the counter' rates available at the nearest post office.
    Secondly, That above all else the modules should be easy to install, and 'just work' in a default 'almost right' configuration, suitable for most users. Ease of installation and default config above all else.
    Thirdly, That it should be possible to reasonably easily make changes when the above two assumptions don't hold.

So, if you're using a franking machine or are a registered business customer, the rates are probably not right for you.
    There's a spreadsheet in the Misc folder, enter the rates that ARE right for you, the spreadsheet will produce the configuration string, and paste that into the admin-modules-shipping section for rmspecial.
    Or if you prefer, do them on a piece of paper, edit to suit YOUR rates, and customise to your hearts content.
    If you need all of the special rates options and exceptions - 'Special Saturday guaranteed' and so on, Sorry, can't help you, this is not the package to use, without some major custom configuration.

Regards,

Chuck

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, forgot the second bit -

The shipping modules do not play any 'active' part in the checkout or any other process. When instantiated and queried/triggered by core Zen Cart routines, and provided with an 'order' with a weight and perhaps a 'ship to' location, they attempt to return a 'cost of shipping' to the core routine.

As such, the use or otherwise of Paypal Express or any other payment system is not something that can be set or influenced by a shipping module, or the code therein.

You could try reading this perhaps?

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156951

Plugin Contributions

Thanks a lot Chuckl, we do operate the basic rates from the PO and would also take advantage of the Special Saturday Guaranteed option if available but not necessary. Currently we are just using the stock zencart shipping module zone-based. Thanks for referring me to that other thread too, shall dive into this further when I have time!

EDIT: Okay that wasn't long to read at all lol, looks like I was confused regarding the checkout process with PayPal Express and this should still work?? Will have to test :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast