Plugin Contributions

Default Installing for an addon domain on justhosts

I have www.aaa.com hosted on JustHost. I have www.bbb.com as an addon domain under my account. I have published both to the web and am able to access both as independent sites. After copying ZenCart to the host server I must key in www.aaa.com/Store/ to install zen cart. After the install, will I be able to go to www.bbb.com/store/admin/ to edit the store? (aaa.com is not a storefront)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing for an addon domain on justhosts

What are you trying to accomplish with the add-on domain?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jghogue View Post
    After the install, will I be able to go to www.bbb.com/store/admin/ to edit the store? (aaa.com is not a storefront)
    As you have stated that they are independent sites, then the answer has to be No. If it were yes, then the sites wouldn't be independent.

I'd also like to repeat Kims question. What are you trying to accomplish? Your question is somewhat unusual and I'm sure that Kim, like me, has a feeling that you aren't asking the right question for whatever it is you are trying to do (or not do).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Both domains will offer products for sale but I want separate zen-carts for each. I decided to start with the add-on domain because it will be much smaller than my main domain and easier to bring on line.

Is it normal to have to utilize the main domsin's name to access zen-cart for the add-on domain(s)?

Plugin Contributions

Both domains will offer products for sale but I want separate zen-carts for each. I decided to start with the add-on domain because it will be much smaller than my main domain and easier to bring on line.
    Ahh, ok. That's not going to be a problem. Just ensure you use a different database for each site, and place the store code into the different folders.

Is it normal to have to utilize the main domsin's name to access zen-cart for the add-on domain(s)?
    No. The URL to access each domain will (should) be different.
    The configuration files will have some similarities in the file *paths* (since both sites are hosted under the same account).
    For the same reason, FTP access will *probably* require you to use the main account name (at least by default, although this is configurable).

Probably the most important thing to get right is the 'document root' for each of the domains, because this is the setting that determines where the *webserver* will look for its files.

If you are needing to use the main domain name in order to access the add-on domain then it is a sure sign that your document root settings are incorrect (well, at least not what you want them to be).

You will need to set (reset) these via your CPanel (not via any zencart settings).

Hopefully this makes sense?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

Thanks for your help. You pointed me in the right direction and I am now able to access the admin area under my add-on domain name.

When I go into the admin area, many of the icons for the options are displayed as red x's. Is this normal?

jgh

Plugin Contributions

When I go into the admin area, many of the icons for the options are displayed as red x's. Is this normal?
    No, it's not normal for a correctly configured/installed site.

The red 'x' means one of two things: Either the icons aren't being found where they are expected to be (this is always the first thing to check), or
    The file/folder permissions are preventing them from being displayed. (this is only relevent if the files exist in the first place).

Generally speaking, either problem is quite trivial to identify and rectify.

The fact that you said 'many' and not 'all' makes it easier, just compare the file paths and/or permissions between those that show and those that don't. The differences should be easy to see.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

I checked further and find that no icons are displaying for the store or the admin area. I went back thru the demo to verify that the designated folders have chmod 777. I should be missing no files since I extracted from the zip file each time I re-installed (many times, unfortunately (sigh)). The only difference between the current install and the previous installs is the exclusion of test data.

Any suggestions?

jgh

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

I checked the path of the "Check for Updates to Zen Cart" button that displays in the upper, right corner of the admin form. I found the gif within my file structure: public_html/addondomain/ZenCart/admin/includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_check_new_version.gif

All folders have chmod 755, including admin.

jgh