Plugin Contributions

help question Need Help.... why does my 1.3.9h say it's using 1.3.8 database??

Hi all, correct me if im in the wrong section for asking this help

i have a previous version 1.3.8 zencart and now i'm making another zencart version 1.3.9h (new version) on my sub domain because i dont want to interrupt the running of my online business.

im making a slow changes in the new version (working parallel with my main domain)

i manage to install 1.3.9h into my sub-domain but im having trouble to reuse the database of 1.3.8 in my 1.3.9h

anyone can help me?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Help.... zencart 1.3.9h using 1.3.8 database??

There are instructions on how to perform an upgrade in the Tutorials/FAQ section.

The usual protocol is backing up your database, put your site into maintenance mode, then upgrade the database.

Read the CHANGELOG in the 1.3.9 version, in the docs folder. This will tell you what FILES are altered from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9. You need to backup the files on the server that need changing, because some of these MIGHT have alterations already, that cause certain add-on modules to function.

Takes about and hour to 90 minutes doing it this way.

When done, take your site out of maintenance mode.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Help.... why does my 1.3.9h say it's using 1.3.8 database??

I have done the same thing, upgraded everything including mods into a subdomain. My final step to upgrading is the database switch and I am not sure how to preserve the 1.3.9 database but keep my customers, orders and products in tacked through the move. Can someone tell me step by step how to do this. My site needs the update BADLY because of broken "old" mods and I can't finish this last step. I've read the upgrade instructions but I don't understand because if I just replace the new 1.3.9 database with my 1.3.8 database to get the lastest customer/order/product info am I not replacing all of the upgraded parts of the database?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can not wrap my head around it.
    Thanks for any help...I'll even pay someone to finish this last step if they're interested please let me know through a pm.

Plugin Contributions

You don't just replace the database; the "upgrade" button in zc_install puts your old information in the new db format.

Plugin Contributions

So how do I just upgrade the database since the rest of the files are done now? And do I have to input the SQLs for the mods back into the database once it is upgraded or do those stay? thanks, not trying to be dumb just dont' understand and it could be disasterous if I screw it up!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by helpme View Post
    So how do I just upgrade the database since the rest of the files are done now? And do I have to input the SQLs for the mods back into the database once it is upgraded or do those stay?
    Given that you've decided to put your 1.3.9 upgrade in another server:
    First, you wipe out your temporary 1.3.9 database that you've been testing with.
    Then you import your 1.3.8 database, and run zc_install to upgrade that database to 1.3.9
    Then you re-do everything you customized for 1.3.9 specifically. Hopefully you've taken very careful notes.

Normally I strongly recommend that you do all your testing separately, as you've done, but when it comes time to actually go live, you replace the PHP files on your live server with the new ones you've been building on the temporary location (except for configure.php files), and then upgrade the database, and apply any database changes there directly.
    That way the live store is still sitting in the same place, no order or customer data is lost, no need to change domain configurations or move/relocate folders, etc.
    But, there are as many different ideas about how one should upgrade as there are people doing upgrades. So, pick whatever works best for you.

And keep good reliable regular backups all the way through the process.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.