Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Amersham, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Image handler vs upcoming Zen 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by niccol View Post
    @David,
    Which just goes to show it is easier to build a module for a single store than build a 'one size fits all' module to release as a module. Which is a reason why some people like myself do not release all this kind of stuff to the 'community'. Making things work for every situation and every store is hard work! Once again respect for the Zen developers for doing this with the core.
    How true - like you I've often thought about making something I've done for a particular store into a module for all to use, but to cover all the bases is just sooo much work. So kudos to all who have taken the trouble and helped make Zen what it is today

Plugin Contributions

@niccol

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I use php to do what I described, as you never know what's turned off or on, capability-wise, on the browser end, so this is all precalculated before the browser gets its hands on it.

This is sort of a per case (page type, like product listing, special offer pages, etc) basis though, since otherwise you don't know how large the space where the image is going to go will be.

For me, I wouldn't pre-edit the images with whitespace, for the exact reasons you've written down.

You could always just make it an option, for people who do want it that way, or for other cases and for people with space to spare, both ways.

As you said, it's easier to make a per-site solution. When it's a broad tool you have to cater for everyone and all possibilities of usage ;)

Plugin Contributions

@Diavire

Oh I see what you are saying. Sometimes it takes a bit of extra help for it to sink in :-) Apologies!

Hmmm, that is kind of interesting too. I think that the 'per case' solution as you call it wouldn't necessarily suit me. But I wonder if that approach could be used in zen_image() to add in-line styling to the image (which then of course would need to be display:block) . You'd just add margins so that the resultant box was the same size exactly as the medium image size ( for example).

Obviously this takes a bit more processing because you need to find the actual image size so perhaps purists would object.

@David
    Yes, exactly. Kudos to everyone who takes the time to turn a solution for their store into a module for everyone. Kudos to the developers for making a platform that allows so many options.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234