Plugin Contributions

Default Not able to connect to database when installing

Hi - I have just set up a mac mini lion server. I have downloaded and copied to the right places the zen cart installation files. I have downloaded and installed MAMP. I have created a database in MySQL under localhost, and I have created a user with ALL rights to that database. The database is of course empty (without any tables). I started the zen cart installation and got a clean bill of health during system check, then when I am supposed to enter database information, I get the following message:
    Connection to database failed. No such file or directory.

Sadly - I am quite new to server management, so I ran fast out of ideas what can be wrong. Can anyone give me some hints - something to check out to help me solve this?

Thanx!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Not able to connect to database when installing

Sounds like your server might have multiple MySQL setups on it. Does Lion Server come with MySQL already? If you also installed MAMP then it would have 2 separate MySQL instances, and would only cause you confusion.
    I recommend picking one or the other, not both.

Here's how I set up MAMP: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96011

IMO, stick with MAMP only, and use NONE of the Lion services. If that still doesn't work for you, then I suggest you get expert help from someone who can guide you through the required education you need about server management. When you have that sorted out, then you can get started with Zen Cart.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Lion is not delivered with MySQL. Is it possible this is because I am not running my website within the MAMP folder?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart doesn't care if you run it from a MAMP folder or anyplace else, as long as wherever you run it from is a valid place where Apache knows the files are stored.
    As far as the database goes, Zen Cart simply follows the instructions you give it for where to find the database.

So, if your server is configured to access MySQL at "localhost", then that's what you tell Zen Cart.
    If it's at "localhost:7777" (or some other port number), then that's what you need to tell Zen Cart.
    And of course, supply the valid username and password and database-name to which that user has been assigned rights.

You said your error message was: "Connection to database failed. No such file or directory."
    But, that error message doesn't come from Zen Cart. It's coming from the server.
    You will need to sort that out before you'll be able to use Zen Cart on that server.

It suggests maybe your server is configured to use sockets and that PHP or apache aren't configured properly to know or understand how to connect to the socket properly. It would be better if MAMP controlled everything instead, rather than having Lion interfering.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.