Plugin Contributions

Default Index page not working right in xampp on outside network

Hello,
    I am a newbie so please bare with me. I am very computer literate and understand how everything works on zen cart for the basics however I have run into this issue. I have the latest version of portable xampp and the latest version of zen cart running along with a custom template. I am trying to customize the template which I do understand how to but am in need of this being viewable on an outside network to get feedback from my son whom is helping me but is on a different network...hence the need for this to be completely viewable on an outside network as he lives 3 towns away. I can get the index page to load but when you click on a link on any link on that page from an outside network or from the usable external IP address...the link that you click on kicks back to the local host and gives an error 404 message. How do I get the entire site functional and all of the links working and viewable from the outside network and not just the index page?
    I would be so grateful for any help.
    Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Index page not working right in xampp on outside network

xampp is not designed to be a hosting setup
    Just a local environment for testing
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    How do I get the entire site functional and all of the links working and viewable from the outside network and not just the index page?
    If this is going to be an ongoing test environment you'll be best served obtaining a static IP address (for your home computer), or, perhaps if not that intent, looking into one of the many Dynamic DNS services.

Meanwhile, as long as your router acts as a passthrough to your home computer, in other words, if you can point a browser (from offsite) to your dynamic IP address and have your computer respond to the requests (as you apparently can, as you can get the index page to load), then to get the *rest* of the site to load, all you have to do is use your dynamic IP address in your ZenCart configuration files (the 'SERVER' settings).

It should be obvious that you will need to provide your son with this IP address whenever it changes (which is where the Static IP or Dynamic DNS services come into play). The static IP address never changing of course.
    The Dynamic DNS services give the ability to use a hostname rather than an IP address, even though the IP address may be constantly changing.

WARNING: Running your own servers in this manner opens your computer up to all manner of nasty activity. Safe security practices should be employed, such as limiting access to *only* your sons IP address. I'd also suggest shutting the services down unless actively using them.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

To answer the question, you installed zen cart using the defaults for that local installation, so in the configure.php files there are references to localhost or 127.0.0.1 so it will only display correctly when viewing it on that physical pc.

1) Configure access to your xampp server from the outside world.
    Either you need to get a static ip address ($$) or use a dynamic ip translation service like noip.com and an address like jonisshop.noip.com. A bit of software runs on your pc to update noip's dns servers.

2) Then if you have a router you have to configure that to map that to that specific pc. Bit vague on that bit as in the past I have used other port numbers than the default 80 to do that translation.

3) Once you have access through your browser to the xampp index page, you can change the configure.php references to use that web address and all should work. You should also access the shop that way instead of by localhost.

Yes it is a security risk....but you don't have to leave it open all the time.

You'll have hours of "fun" trying to get all that to work, probably quicker and definitely more fun driving over there and discussing it over a beer.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    2) Then if you have a router you have to configure that to map that to that specific pc. Bit vague on that bit as in the past I have used other port numbers than the default 80 to do that translation..
    Note to OP: We've both been 'a bit vague' on this specific bit because exact details depends on the router. Many of them are configured to be inherently insecure and will do what is needed by default. Others will 'require' you set the host computer up in a DMZ (demilitarized zone). If there is a 'tricky bit' to getting it all working, this is where it'll probably be.

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    probably quicker and definitely more fun driving over there and discussing it over a beer.
    I disagree with this. Discussing it over a beer rather than the Internet is *MUCH* more fun, and if you have enough of this fun you won't care how long it takes :)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello,
    Thanks to all who answered. I found that there was an error in the installation and started over from scratch. I was able to get it completely viewable on the dynamic dns method off the actual ip address. I was stumped because the port was forwarded so the router was configured properly. Just a bad install!
    Thanks again!!