Plugin Contributions

Default I have installed to a directory. How do I rename or move that directory?

Hi All,

I am having trouble understanding what I'm supposed to do with regards to changing the directory of my shop.

When installing I set up in www.mydomain.co.uk/shop this was to enable me to work on the cart without people stumbling on to the cart, but now I'm ready to go live and want the world to see it who arrives at www.mydomain.co.uk/

Can anybody please help, I have read but for the life of me can't understand the tutorial page https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122 that tells you how to do it.

Regards

Neil
    Last edited by nelly7; 11 Nov 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I have installed Zen Cart to a directory. How do I rename or move that directory?

using the steps in the tutorial:
    step 1: you will be installing in your root (public_html) folder.
    step 2: Right now it says something/something/shop/cache...
    Remove the /shop.

step 3: FTP in to your site. Take everything in the /shop folder and move it into the root folder. (Right now if you ftp in and look at the public_html folder you will see a folder that says shop. Your store is in that folder. You need to drag the entire thing up into the root folder, One safe-ish way would be to go into shop, copy EVERYTHING, go back up into root and paste. Then you'll have two copies, and once you're sure everthing works you can delete the old one.

step 4: download the two configure files mentioned. DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO. Keep backups somewhere safe and clearly labeled. Open each one with a text editor like notepad and search for the strings mentioned in the tutorial. Each one should have a long url that has /shop in it. Remove the /shop. For example if it says your admin is in home/myname/shop/adminxxx/ then change it to home/myname/adminxxx/.

If you've done it all right so far then you don't need to worry about step 5 yet.

Once you've moved, if you use a bookmarked page to log into your admin it should give you a not-found error. You need to change the bookmark from oldurl/shop/adminxxx/login.php to oldurl/adminxxx/login.php to get to the login page.

Hope that helped a bit, although I think I just reworded the tutorial into non-geekspeak.

PS: When it's done and the new one works, delete the "shop" folder. And then go to the developers tool kit in the admin panel and search for the string /shop/ to see if it still shows in any files.
    Last edited by joejoejoe; 11 Nov 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I h8 typos

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I have installed Zen Cart to a directory. How do I rename or move that directory?

Joejoejoe,

thank you for your reply, it made much more sense thank you...... i have done the change and the site seems to be absolutely fine, the only problem I have is logging in to the admin, i have changed everything as to how the tutorial says to change, but still no joy!!

Can you offer any suggestions please??

Cheers Neil

Plugin Contributions

Did you see my note about the admin login?
    When you go to your admin login sceen - look at the url up top of your web browser - does it have the /shop in it? If so then you are going to the wrong place. Try typing in the url without the /shop.

If you do that and get an error, then you may have missed one of the things on that list of changes in the configure files.

Also - sometimes you THINK you changed both of the configure files, but it turns out you forgot to set the permissions first. They may have been read only and you didn't notice that your attempt to overwrite them failed. This is made more possible when it's the end of a 20 hour stretch, 3 pots of coffee, and you've seen every error screen the net has to offer.
    Last edited by joejoejoe; 12 Nov 2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: thought of more to say

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I have installed to a directory. How do I rename or move that directory?

Joe,

Thanks for all your help, there was a bit of code slightly wrong , its all working good now .

Regards

Neil

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I have installed to a directory. How do I rename or move that directory?

HELP!! I have tried for two days to move my cart from the subdomain to the root directory. I have followed all the instructions I could find in this forum and the tutorial, https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122. I ran the fix cache module and everything comes back fine.

The problem is when I try to access the site I receive an error that my.domain.com/index.htm is not found.

I can access the admin panel with no problem. What did I miss?

Plugin Contributions

What happens if you enter my.domain.com/index.php ?

Plugin Contributions

Error message stating, Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    What happens if you enter my.domain.com/index.php ?

Reloaded everything again. Now when I type the above it goes to the homepage. However, if I type the domain by itself I receive the page can't be found error.

Plugin Contributions

Good afternoon!

I think I have the same problem, with one caveat...I don't want the files to be in my root.

My root is www.shannonwestongifts.com, which I'm rebuilding in a subfolder (thanks to hackers!). I've also set up a new site in my primary hosting (shannonwestongifts) at GoDaddy. Now here's the problem...

When I uploaded zencart for the new site, I apparently put it in the wrong place. I think I understand the "moving" aspect of the situation as described in article 122, but where do I move the files to?

I have the root directory, which applies to the original store, and needs to stay in existence as shannonwestongifts.com. Then I have swgwholesale.com in that primary hosting account, and all the zc folders for it are directly inside it. My admin goes to swgwholesale admin, not shannonweston. All pages work with shannonwestongifts.com/swgwholesale and with swgwholesale.com, but all links go to the shannonwestongifts.com/swgwholesale! Does this make sense?

GoDaddy techs simply said that I uploaded zencart to the wrong folder - like I said, I kinda understand the article mentioned, but have no idea where to move the files to!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I continue to tweak the cart for swgwholesale.

Using zc v1.3.9h with the rustic template

Have a great day, and God bless!
    Andy
    The Ole Cowboy - Getting Older, But Not Aging
    Shannon Weston Gifts and Decor