Plugin Contributions

Default session time out/orders lost - payments via MiGS Module

We use the cc via migs (MasterCard, Australian Commonwealth Bank, bendigo) ANZ eGate payment module, and have upgraded to ZC v1.3.9h in the last few months.

1. Only since upgrade now have a ‘session time out error’ which only occurs as follows:

a. Customer enters cc details incorrectly (1st time), and is successfully returned to the site to try again; customer tries again (2nd time), enters details correctly, payment is deemed successful and accepted by bank; message is given that they will be returned to site. Returned to site: ‘whoops, your session has expired’. No record of order. No record of cart in account. No order email is generated.

b. This issue occurs even if the entire procedure (i.e. both steps) is completed in under a minute or if several minutes pass between step 1 and step 2 i.e. it makes no difference either way. This occurs irrespective of whether 2nd attempt contains ‘correct’ or ‘incorrect’ payment details

c. Please note that if payment is successful the 1st time, this problem does NOT occur

2. We have been hosted with our current web hosting provider for over a year and neither the web server nor the php configuration has changed in that time and as mentioned, the current issue only began after ZenCart was upgraded. During initial troubleshooting, our host had also increased the php timeout limit to 300 seconds (this has not made any difference as they said this is not a php time out concern (please see below))

3. When the problem occurs no errors are being logged either by PHP or the web server and there are no mention of timeouts being logged anywhere.

4. During troubleshooting, our host advised that the SSL access log show that when the timeout occurs, it is ZenCart itself which redirects the customer to this page:

http://www.our_site.com.au/index.php?main_page=time_out and that this is *not* a PHP timeout.

5. Upon your determining that no other customers were logged in at the time, I logged in and performed steps 1 and 2 i.e first the failed payment and then the successful payment and during that time, our web hosting provider monitored our the expiry column in our ZenCart session table and noticed that when I was logged in, my session expiry time was:

then it was followed by:

then by:

and at some point after the payment failed, 1321945595 was replaced by 1321945636. So the initial sequence was:

which after the failed payment in step 1, later became:

after which I was then redirected to http://www.our_site.com.au/index.php?main_page=time_out.

I hope that someone can help, as this is a massive problem for us & our customers, and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Many thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: session time out/orders lost - payments via MiGS Module

Zen Cart automatically logs the customer out if they make more than 3 failed payment attempts ... because that's exactly what credit-card-theft-rings do. It's called Credit Card Slamming.

If your customers are prone to constantly being unable to type in their credit card numbers, and you want to open yourself up to wider risk of abuse by credit card slamming, you can change that to a higher number by editing /includes/modules/name_of_your_template/checkout_process.php
    Code:
    if ($_SESSION['payment_attempt'] > 3) {

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: session time out/orders lost - payments via MiGS Module

Thanks for your reply DrByte,

However, this is happening after only one incidence of failed details, followed by a correct submission of details.

Hoping that you could please help further?

Many thanks :)