Plugin Contributions

Default Downloadable product 'invalid file'

Hi,
    I have some downloadable products in zipped files. When the customer purchases them the checkout process is fine and they can download the product but when they go to open/unzip the file they get the error message 'invalid file' or "Windows cannot open the foler. The compressed (zipped) Folder.... is invalid.". These customers have ordered other digi products from other store with no problems so they do know how to open zipped files. I then email them the same file and it opens fine.
    I have gone through the checkout process and I can do it just fine without any troubles. I use a Mac and the program Win-zip-Mac to zip the files and it seems that only Windows customers are having troubles.
    I am using Zencart 1.3.9
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable product 'invalid file'

The most common cause of that sort of thing is that the files are corrupted due to either the server encountering a timeout or a PHP error causing text to be added to the top of the downloaded file's contents.

Have you looked at the actual file they've downloaded (ie: have them send you the file) to see whether there is text or html or php code at the start of the file? If the files are large then you'll probably need a hex editor to view them instead of a typical text editor. Notepad++ might still handle it. On your mac it might be possible to just use quicklook to see whether the start of the file is damaged in any way, even if that means renaming the file to have a .txt extension so quicklook can peek at it.

Which version of Zen Cart 1.3.9 are you using? (there were several)
    And is this problem isolated to certain file-types? ie: .zip or .pdf etc? What file extensions are yours?
    Are you using download-by-redirect? or direct? or streaming?
    Have you customized the .htaccess in your /pub/ folder for any particular reason? If so, why?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    Thanks for all that info! I'm waiting on the customer to forward the file to me, and a response from the builder of the site - jettrue - as I'm sure she will understand everything you've written (a little out of my league).

Zen Cart : 1.3.9h installed 30th June, 2011
    I only have .zip at the moment

That's all I can answer at the moment :)

Thanks once again!!

Plugin Contributions

Dr Byte.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the zip. It seems there is a bug with some versions of IE/ windows versions, and I think this is what's going on:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aoakley/arch.../14/49655.aspx

Basically, if the IE user either chooses "open" instead of save, or if they have the setting to always open zip files applied.

When googling "the compressed folder is invalid", I saw a drupal thread with the same issue. It seems their fix was something about changing the http headers for downloading zip files to:

Content-Length: 63262
    Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed

Here's that thread
    http://drupal.org/node/213262

Also, the customer helping test reports that the file opens fine if downloaded with Firefox.

It's strange. If the file is downloaded via a direct link from the server, opens fine. There's something in the download from zen cart process, or in the server settings, combined with an old bug in IE when files are opened without saving.
    Last edited by jettrue; 1 Jan 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If that's the case then I suppose you could try adding this to the end of the /pub/.htaccess file:
    Code:
    <FilesMatch ".*\.(zip|ZIP)$">
      ForceType application/x-zip-compressed
      Header set Content-Disposition attachment
      Order Allow,Deny
      Allow from all
    </FilesMatch>
    And maybe remove the zip|ZIP| from the existing FilesMatch directive.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.