Plugin Contributions

Default Product meta tags for SEO

Hi, Just wondering if it is important to have product meta tags in zencart for SEO purpose. If it is can anyone help me how I can do that in bulk...thanks.

Siddeni

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product meta tags for SEO

In general, zencart's "automated" tag generator is sufficient, but it can be helpful to do manual inserts for important tags.

The "automated" feature will render data that is in the system already - such as the product title, price, model number, and some of the description text - so it is very important to provide GOOD, quality descriptions and product titles.

Similarly, if you over-ride this core behaviour by manually inserting data into the tag fields, that data must also be well-structured, so that Google sees RELEVANCY between the TITLE, THE PRODUCT NAME and the DESCRIPTIVE CONTENT.

You can completely ignore the KEYWORDS field. Search Engines no longer look at <meta keywords>, so leave it empty.

Try to make your PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS as comprehensive as possible. Several sentences - well-written and meaningful. As this text is going to be the only opportunity on these pages to raise the HTML-TO-TEXT ratio on the displayed page, you need quite a lot of descriptive text.

NB: Do not confuse the above with the DESCRPTIONS META FIELD... In this field, you need to limit your character count to under 150 characters. The PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS I refer to above are those you key in when ADDING/EDITING a product.

If possible, avoid DUPLICATING information in your product descriptions - or if you have to duplicate it, try to make the duplicate content no more than 20% to 25% of the total amount of text. If Google sees that the BULK of text on several pages is identical, it says "OK, so I already have a page that contains this info, so I will give prominence to just ONE of these pages... I will ignore the other pages... "
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks a lot schoolboy for the helpful information.

-------------
    Siddeni

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    In general, zencart's "automated" tag generator is sufficient, but it can be helpful to do manual inserts for important tags.

The "automated" feature will render data that is in the system already - such as the product title, price, model number, and some of the description text - so it is very important to provide GOOD, quality descriptions and product titles.

Similarly, if you over-ride this core behaviour by manually inserting data into the tag fields, that data must also be well-structured, so that Google sees RELEVANCY between the TITLE, THE PRODUCT NAME and the DESCRIPTIVE CONTENT.

You can completely ignore the KEYWORDS field. Search Engines no longer look at <meta keywords>, so leave it empty.
    [/I]
    Hello,

Can you see the automated rendered "data" somewhere ?

How to manually insert data into the tag fields !

Keyword fields, where are they stored ?

regards,