Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Can Templates from Prior Versions Be Added to Later Versions?

I have inherited a Zen Cart site that used a template called "Theme125" -- it was selectable from the list of templates when running the Admin module. As I did not create the site originally, I do not know what version of Zen Cart it is using (can I find that out somehow?).

However, I need to recreate the site (not a migration, since the owner deleted the database and has no backup) and have to use the latest version running on the hosting company's server (1.3.8.h). I've installed 1.3.8.h, but while in the Admin module, "Theme125" is not listed.

Is there some way to make "Theme125" available in v1.3.8.h, whether by downloading it from somewhere or manually copying files (I have a copy of the old site, so I should have access to any .css files, etc.).

This site MUST use the Theme125 template, so PLEASE help me if you can!

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can Templates from Prior Versions Be Added to Later Versions of Zen Cart?

Correction -- all references to 1.3.8.h SHOULD BE 1.3.8.a

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can Templates from Prior Versions Be Added to Later Versions?

Unfortunately, that sounds like it could be a Template Monster template.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

It is a Template Monster template, and I'll be willing to bet that, even if you can get them to reply to your request, they'll expect you to pay for it again.

I'd be interested in the reason this store must use that tempate. Templates are just about the site's appearance, after all.

Plugin Contributions

You have two potentially difficult problems:

1. version 1.3.8a is extremely vulnerable to hacker attacks, and believe me... if the site gets hacked it is a tedious and time-consuming task to clean it up. And if you are a "novice" webmaster, you will probably have to pay a lot of money to have it cleaned.

2. It is using a TemplateMonster template, and while these may "look nice" they are horrible to work with. The reason is that the developers of these templates either rip the heart out of much of the core functionality, or they re-shape it completely. The result is that you may lack a lot of control (both via your admin panel and via module add-ons) in both how the site looks and how it behaves.

Interestingly... it is possible to configure a template that DOES behave well, that can look as good - if not better - than these terrible template monster concoctions.

If you are intent on hanging onto that template, don't expect much help on this forum... not that we don't want to help, but we just don't have hours and hours to "unpick" TM templates to try to fathom out what stupid thinking has gone into removing or modifying essential zencart behaviour.
    Last edited by schoolboy; 3 Dec 2011 at 03:21 PM.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Here's your best bet...

REMOVE the current installation completely (As it is de facto a brand new install of 1.3.8, just delete the whole thing... database, files, the lot.)

DOWNLOAD a copy of the latest version (1.3.9h) and manually install that on your server.

Abandon the idea of using a TM template. There are some very attractive ones that can be modified very easily, available in the free downloads, and some neat ones from 12leaves (the "pure" series).

To show you just how flexible a template can be, the following sites are ALL based on the same template.

Site One
    Site Two
    Site Three
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Okay, something isn't adding up here, so let me try this again.

I downloaded version 1.3.9.h by following the link at zen-cart-com/index.php. On a test area, separate from the live site (which I think is 1.3.8.a but may be 1.3.7x) that the site owner accidentally destroyed by deleting the database (no, no backup available), I installed 1.3.9.h successfully. I then logged into the Admin module, and using the Tools | Template item (or whatever that's called), I selected from the list of available templates "Theme125" and applied it. It worked beautifully. I did not install any separate themes first, and did not download anything other than the installation file for Zen Cart.

Question 1) I have no idea what Template Monster is or why they are apparently evil or why everyone on this site apparently has taken a vow to never speak of them, BUT given all that it seems extremely unlikely that Zen Cart would be distributed WITH ONE OF THEIR THEMES INCLUDED! So, does Zen Cart ship with certain themes included (besides the default), and is it possible "Theme125" is one of them (as it seems to be)?

Question 2) If no themes (or at least, not the one I am referring to) ship with Zen Cart, how is it Theme125 is available to me immediately after installation (i.e., no other add-ons installed, etc.) - just by logging into the Admin module?

Now you may be wondering what's the problem then, you have installed Zen Cart and selected the theme you wanted -- get on with it. However, due to limitations of the web hosting company, using 1.3.9.h is not an option (even though I can and did install it manually, they only offer/support version 1.3.8.a). Yes, I know, I know - not secure, very old, evil, yada yada yada -- I get it, I do and I'm dealing with that down the road - first step is get the site live again. The problem is, a fresh install of 1.3.8.a from the web host did NOT include the Theme125 as described above. So:

Question 3) Assuming we are not talking about a Template Monster (or otherwise non-recommended) theme, is it possible to copy all the files that comprise a theme to a certain area of an ALREADY INSTALLED ZEN CART and then go into it's Admin module import the theme or have it automatically recognize the theme? If so, I could then copy the necessary files from the 1.3.9.h install to the fresh 1.3.8.a install and at least get the layout and look/feel reasonably close...

Plugin Contributions

Only the default theme is included with Zen Cart. The one you mentioned isn't included. No idea why it's available in the admin.

To find out what version the current site is running, log into the admin and click on the "version" tab.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

1. No. As afo said, the Zencart zip file only includes the Classic template. I don't know either why it appeared in your options, but the only likely explanation is an awkward one - you didn't actually do as you said/think you did.

Template Monster is the largest purveyor of Zencart templates and is notorious for hacking the Zencart code in ways that make it impossible to configure/style the store properly. Their naming convention is 'themeXXX', which is what made me suspect yours is one of theirs.

2. I don't know - see above.

3. Yes, if you know what files comprise the template. Some template packages consist of just a stylesheet file, and others consist of hundreds of files and even SQL patches. You can try copying these over first:

Everything in the templates/theme125 folder.
    includes/languages/english/theme125/header.php.
    Anything else in any folder named theme125.

This doesn't make any sense - using 1.3.9.h is not an option (even though I can and did install it manually, they only offer/support version 1.3.8.a).

If you can install 1.3.9h manually, do so and rebuild the site from that. Your host doesn't need to offer/support it.

Plugin Contributions

Stevesh,

I did as I said - downloaded 1.3.9.h from the official site, and manually installed on a completely different server that (unlike our host) supports PHP 5+ and MySQL 5+... Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but right out of the box, I logged into the Admin module and selected Theme125 from among the available items, clicked Apply and presto it worked.

Installing 1.3.9.h onto my host's server does not work, because it fails at the Database Info step with the MySQL client needs to be updated error. Of course I didn't know this at the time, and went ahead with development on the other server, thinking that when done I could simply export the database then import it to the "live" server and see where I stood as far as restoring the site. In theory it should work because both sites would use the same theme/template, settings, etc. that are stored in the database.

Anyway, thanks for the info - I will attempt to copy the files you mentioned. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I may as well recommend a complete site rebuild (on a more reliable host) since that is basically what has to happen anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast