Plugin Contributions

help question Can I test paypal without paying paypal?

I just set up Paypal, can I do test on my site without having to pay Paypal every time I complete the transaction?

Thanks.

BTW: does anyone know how the tax rate is determined? for example, my website is in Ontario, Canada, here the tax is 13%. if someone in Ontario buy my staff but ship it to Alberta (7%), or if someone in Alberta buy/ship to Alberta, how the tax rate should I apply to the order?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I test paypal without paying paypal?

In order to truly test a payment module you need to run an actual test transaction. Then go to your store's Paypal account and refund the purchase. Note: You cannot charge a purchase to the same Paypal account as your store's Paypal account.

I have a Paypal business account (I think they call it a Premium account) for my store, and a separate Paypal personal account. I use the personal account for my test transactions, then go to the Paypal site, log into my business account and refund the test purchase.

I can't respond to the Tax questions regarding Canadian jurisdictions. For my US account Zencart handles taxes for various jurisdictions automatically once you complete setting up your Zones and Tax Rate tables in admin under the "Locations/Zones" menu item. I would think the same process would work for Canada and other countries.

For more information look for a tutorial on the subject by clicking "Tutorials/FAQ" at the top right corner of this forum page.
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

Ronlee is correct. The best way to test paypal is with a proper purchase. And YES... you will need to ask someone else with either a credit card or a paypal account to help you, if you have only one paypal account yourself.

We usually set up a TEST PRODUCT and give it a price of just 10 cents. Then we use this to put through a test order.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

thanks guys

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mdivk View Post
    I just set up Paypal, can I do test on my site without having to pay Paypal every time I complete the transaction?

Thanks.

BTW: does anyone know how the tax rate is determined? for example, my website is in Ontario, Canada, here the tax is 13%. if someone in Ontario buy my staff but ship it to Alberta (7%), or if someone in Alberta buy/ship to Alberta, how the tax rate should I apply to the order?

Thanks.
    I can't help you with the ZC stuff, I'm afraid I'm a noob on that front, BUT, for the taxes, go to the http://www.cbsc.org/eng/guide/5155/.

My products are 0-rated as grocery items, but the tax on my shipping is charged based on the address to where I ship.

Hope that helps.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Can I test paypal without paying paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by mdivk View Post
    Yes, you can do it on a sandbox - if you set up a (free) developer account with PayPal.

You can use this for the bulk of your testing and then, 1 nanosecond before your store goes live, you must test it with a real transaction (i.e. not on a sandbox), just like the previous posters indicated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're not familiar with using PayPal's developer accounts, then I strongly suggest that you DO NOT.
    Developer Accounts are for ... developers.

ilikemike, if you're going to suggest such a thing, then I would encourage you to offer careful handholding through all the myriad steps they would have to go through to even use it, rather than sending them off into a huge unknown world to get lost and waste days when they could have simply done a few tests normally.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.