Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default My suggestions about Basics for maintaining your store

I was asked to contribute and not hate so much so here it is. :)

Here is how we maintain our store.

Our production website is www.domain.com
    Our developement website is dev.domain.com

The dev. is a copy of our production website where we can run new mods to see if they work or make changes to code and test without disrupting our production site.

We will start a dev2.domain.com site also for 1.50 when it comes out so we can test and run it before running it as a production site.

We use puTTy to run unix commands to update mySQL or php or backing up our database. But you'll need to learn those commands by asking.

We use WinSCP. Google it.

We run a dedicated server. We never use a shared server. You can get a managed dedicated server or unmanaged. We use unmanaged only because the last thing we want is our host company to auto update mySQL to the latest version and then our store breaks because some php code is incompatible with the new MySQL.

We back up our database in a daily basis using a unix command line in puTTy. You can pay your host to do this for you but it's so easy to do ourselves and it saved us money.

We use FTP to back up our files. We use Plesk on our dedicated server to maintain settings and changes. We like Plesk better than cPanel.

Never register a domain name through your hosting company. Register it direct with a registrar like GoDaddy. Why? Because the hosting company can register your domain name for you but they may register it under their name and hold it hostage and force you to host through them. Network Solutions used to do this.

Questions? Ask.
    Last edited by willie bee; 11 Dec 2011 at 01:41 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Basics for maintaining your store

If you're looking to convert from osCommerce to Zen Cart then I recommend using this mod to import your database.

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=918

Plugin Contributions

We will start a dev2.domain.com site also for 1.50 when it comes out so we can test and run it before running it as a production site.
    1.50 is out. It's up to RC2, which means it's so close to finalization it makes sense to be testing it now.

Plugin Contributions

Well we don't really need to rush it since 1.3.9h is already kickass. Usually I'll wait until the final release. Beta releases are just that. I've seen that more issues will pop up AFTER the final release because more end users will be using the final release in production. So I can see several patches come out from the ZC crew over time. Case in point. 1.3.9 is now 1.3.9h.

Plugin Contributions

Beta releases are just that.
    A release candidate is not beta.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    It's just another way of saying beta. It definitely isn't a final release.

Plugin Contributions

Waiting for the final release of open source software before beginning testing is like turning away a gift because it would require one to say thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Waiting for the final release of open source software before beginning testing is like turning away a gift because it would require one to say thank you.
    You are more than welcome to beta test. I will not. I will run final release software and report bugs then. There are beta testers who are willing and choose to test because they have the TIME. I do not. That does not mean I'm not appreciative of open source. I've donated to open source software developers cashwise plenty. Not many can say that and many os authors appreciate cash over a 'thank you'. :)

Plugin Contributions

Also for FTP you can use WinSCP or any other free type FTP proggie out there. You'll want to make sure your FTP program can read hidden files like htaccess so you can see them
    to edit them.

Also we use NotePad ++ for editing files.

For image manipulation there are several free os alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop which are equally as powerful and FREE!

The great midwest... Well, okay, it's not so great, but I'm stuck here!
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for the info about a test site. I have one now, and didn't have a problem with these shirts showing up until this week.

I haven't installed any new modules, just did some work in Magic Zoom, because it wasn't working properly. Getting ready to pay for it now, btw.

So, I'm still stumped. I had my son go over it this morning, we just can't figure out what the problem is.

I'm live - as of this morning, hopefully somebody can jump in here and tell me what they think the conflict is.

Hope you are all having a good Sunday. I'm going to step away from this for a few hours, then hopefully come back and figure out a solution...
    I DID IT, I actually built a working cart, with the help of so many of you, Stevesh, Schoolboy, RescoCCC, to name a few. I just take one bite out of the elephant at a time and try to keep my sense of humor...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast