Plugin Contributions

help question Is the Built-in Admin Profiles in 1.5.x compatible with Kuroi's Add-on?

I noticed that the upcoming 1.5.x version includes (built-in) support for admin profiles.

I happen to be using Kuro's excellent Admin Profiles add-on, on 1.3.8a and I am wondering whether it is the same add-on, now integrated into 1.5.x? And thus, when I import the database, all settings will be preserved?

Or is it a different module, incompatible with the aforementioned Kuro's Admin Profiles add-on?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is the Built-in Admin Profiles in 1.5.x compatible with Kuroi's Add-on?

They use a different structure, and the data is not directly compatible. While the concepts are similar, what's in v1.5 is NOT the "Admin Profiles Addon" stuffed into the code. It's been rewritten specifically to be more broad in its capabilities and more efficient in its integration. And much easier/safer to connect other addons to use it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is the Built-in Admin Profiles in 1.5.x compatible with Kuroi's Add-on?

Thanks! Being integrated into the core package is very good.

But now I have to think how not to import Kuro's database parts from the backup, when migrating.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Be sure to take note that "upgrading" is not "migrating". At least, the way I prefer to do upgrades means there's no actual "importing" required at the final step where "going live" takes place. All the export/import stuff takes place in the non-live "staging" area which is only used to test all the files and addons and customizations you're preparing to put onto the live site when you actually make the live site start using the new version.

What you should do, as far as admin security goes, is take careful notes of what permissions you've granted to which users at the present time, so that you can easily rebuild those later in the new version once your site is using it.

The tables themselves will not clash with each other. You can safely perform an Uninstall of the old Admin Profiles mod by following its uninstall instructions, and not affect your 1.5 site.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Is the Built-in Admin Profiles in 1.5.x compatible with Kuroi's Add-on?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the differences between my current 1.3.8a store and the 1.5.x (to which I would like to upgrade as a total makeover) are so big that the only way out is to manually re-enter all existing data.

Fortunately (actually unfortunately...), I don't have many customers, so that may actually take less time than trying to understand the databases, their differences and how to come with scripts that automate the import process.

The Admin Profiles add-on is not a big issue, but I do have some other add-ons and custom made modifications. Starting from scratch looks very tempting, now that I understand better how Zen-Cart works and what I want from the new templates.

I hope that with the introduction of 1.5.x, automated updated would be much easier. The problem isn't really with Zen-Cart itself, but with the add-ons, each following their own way of extending Zen-Cart. It would be great if Zen-Cart came with all the add-ons built-in.

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: Is the Built-in Admin Profiles in 1.5.x compatible with Kuroi's Add-on?

P.S. Automating the admin rename process so that all I have to do is 'mv admin adminsecretname', without having to edit configure.php, is simply brilliant. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemike View Post
    so that may actually take less time than trying to understand the databases, their differences and how to come with scripts that automate the import process.
    There's no need for any "script to automate the import process", because there's no special/selective import needed!

If you follow the posted upgrade instructions, you simply use the zc_install program that comes with Zen Cart, and choose "upgrade database" when prompted. It'll take care of converting all your data to the new format. No manual selective importing required.

The only "import" you need to do is for your temporary "playground" where you make a temporary copy from your live store for testing. Then once you've done all your testing you simply re-do the upgrade on the live database, redo a few settings changes if needed, and you're all set to go. Downtime can be as small as 3-5 minutes once you're all ready to go live.

Don't make it way more complicated than you need to.