Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax 0%: checkout confirmation

Judging from the code it suggests that that whole column's display is related to multiple tax groups being active, or varying taxes applicable to different items in the cart. Do you have multiple items in your cart which are using different tax classes?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Again, what modules are you using for shipping? Are you assessing taxes on shipping? Have you set a tax class on the shipping module you use for non-NY orders?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Only one item in cart used in testing.

Only one tax class defined: "Taxable Goods", all products are "Taxable Goods".

The 0% disappears if sales tax is applied, and reappears if sales tax does not apply.
    Zencart 1.3.9h - PHP 5.2.13 - My SQL 5.0.84 - Apache 1.3.41

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Again, what modules are you using for shipping? Are you assessing taxes on shipping? Have you set a tax class on the shipping module you use for non-NY orders?
    Yup. That's it.
    You've set a tax class on your shipping. So, it's charging tax on the shipping but not the products. And since the 0% rate for the product is different from the 8.875% rate on the shipping, it knows that there's more than one tax rate applicable to the order, and so it displays the tax rate on a per-line-item basis.

Plugin Contributions

USPS shipping module, tax on shipping.

Yup. That's it.
    You've set a tax class on your shipping.
    was this set by these settings?

My Store settings for shipping:

Basis of Product Tax Shipping
    Basis of Shipping Tax Shipping

since I am required to collect sales tax on the product and shipping, am I stuck with this 0%?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, you're stuck with it, at least as far as core code goes.

Or, here's a coding workaround that might take care of it. Haven't tested it for any side effects though:
    /includes/modules/order_total/ot_shipping.php
    At line 67 (line number based on v1.5.0 code) you'll see this section of code. Add the highlighted lines as shown:
    Code:
              $shipping_tax_amount = zen_calculate_tax($order->info['shipping_cost'], $shipping_tax);
              $order->info['shipping_tax'] += $shipping_tax_amount;
    // if the order has no tax on products (non taxable or out of taxable zones), then reset list of tax classes that would have applied to any products in the order
    if ($order->info['tax'] == 0) $order->info['tax_groups'] = array();
              $order->info['tax'] += $shipping_tax_amount;

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I'll try your code and do some testing.

Thanks Dr.Byte, its been awhile since I've needed help and your spot on posts are a pleasant reminder of how excellent the support here is at ZC.

Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

Yup. That's it.
    You've set a tax class on your shipping. So, it's charging tax on the shipping but not the products. And since the 0% rate for the product is different from the 8.875% rate on the shipping, it knows that there's more than one tax rate applicable to the order, and so it displays the tax rate on a per-line-item basis.
    I just had this issue as well and wanted to help clarify the resolution.

I corrected this by going into the admin and from Modules => Shipping
    I highlighted the Shipping set I had enabled (e.g. Standard Rate) and clicked [Edit]
    Then changed "Tax Class" to "--none--"

I had created a "non-taxable goods" tax group but it appears that was not needed and just made 0% tax show up on the confirmation page. (D'oh!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123