Quote Originally Posted by wtashby View Post
One quick, perhaps dumb question. Why did you move from v_category_name_1, v_category_name_2, etc. to using the caret? That, to me just complicates things having to use formulas and such instead of the old way.
You mean, way back when why did chadderuski change up the method of assigning categories?

Well, there were two things at play from what I have seen throughout the thread and from looking at how it works. One was that there was the concept of multiple languages, so there had to be a method to apply that, then there was the "stack-up" of categories.. How many v_categories_name_x fields need to be added to address the multiple layers in which a product can exist? Then on top of that applying a second+ language at the same time...

So, as to the use of the caret (or other character as so desired), v_category_name_1 is the category name for the product in the row that is to be in the first language of the store (having language_id = 1), the category that it resides is main_cat1^sub_cat1^sub_sub_cat1^sub_sub_sub_cat1 Thus the product's category is fully defined in a single field.

This has been this way with EP4 for as long as I've known it (4+ years), so I'm curious about to what "old way" this is being compared.