Plugin Contributions

Default trying to upgrade in practise folder sql help

ive followed a guide to setup my store in a second folder so i can upgrade and check for any problems before doing the upgrade to my actual site however i cannot seem to figure out how to take my current database and copy it onto my webserver as a new database for the practice folder. anyone know where i would upload this?

I have pulled it from the cpanel via a backup and have altered the name to zcnew for practice.

Also i have changed my admin folders address on my current site will i need to alter this in configure.php?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: trying to upgrade in practise folder sql help

- export live database: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=103
    - create new database and user, using cPanel (your hosting company can tell you how to do that)
    - do a new install of the new Zen Cart, using that new database+user when zc_install asks you for database details
    - test that the new install works - create some products, test a checkout using check/moneyorder module, etc
    - import your exported database into the new database, using phpMyAdmin's import tab
    - run zc_install and choose database-upgrade when prompted
    - test checkout using your own products, which will now be present

This is all in the upgrade documentation. I've not mentioned things like DB_PREFIX, and so on, just for brevity.
    If you need more details on setting up a new copy of your site, see related articles such as this one: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=100 (you may not be moving servers, but you ARE doing everything ELSE)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

just had a strange thought, should i just do the upgrade straight onto my site? i have a database backup and downloaded a full backup from my cpanel, worst case scenario is it doesnt work and i just reupload the files from pblic html and restore my databases right?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

We always advise doing a separate test install because invariably people encounter "something" that they need some help with, and if it's on their live site then they have the risk of lost sales due to the site being down.

Shortcuts generally result in lost sales or emergency requests for help.

If you don't care about that, and you're capable of fixing all your own problems without creating an emergency situation, then do what you wish.

I still recommend staging it separately first.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.