Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Problem with taxes and Store Pickup shipping module

To the group,

I am trying out Zen Cart (and installed v1.5) and installed just the base install with no add-ons so far. My question is I can't seem to get tax to apply to my products.

I have searched all of the forums and tried all of the solutions, but none seem to work.

My goal is to at first make product a "Store Pickup" we ship nothing.

In my Store I set the tax based on the store location which is Rhode Island.

The issue I think is under my Store Pickup shipping method, it only gives me two options Shipping and Billing Address (see attachment), does NOT give me the option for Store??? Is this a bug or am I missing something.

When I look at the product, it show the correct tax.

thanks for any help.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I set up taxes?

You can configure taxes for PRODUCTS, and you can also configure taxes on SHIPPING.

Since you're not shipping anything, you won't be setting any taxes on your shipping module.

Instead, you will edit your product and set a tax class on that product. Then the tax associated with that tax class will be applied to that product during checkout.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Still no luck on getting this to work. I have attached all of the relevant screens, can you see if everything is setup properly?

If you need additional information, please let me know...When I get to the check-out, it shows $0.00 for Rhode Island Tax Rate...

thanks

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zone Definititions - Taxes, Payment and Shipping.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	10027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tax Rates Screen.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	10028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Store Screen and Taxes.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	10031  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Product shows tax applied.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	10032  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Why did you set the Basis of Product Tax to store?
    If everything is store-pickup, then your customers are all going to have RI addresses, right? So, it would be better to set the Basis of Product Tax to Billing, since it's the customer's billing address you need to use for taxation in that case.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Customers come from many surrounding states, and the store is located in RI, so the store location would be the tax applied.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Very quick guess about a possible code change you could try:
    /includes/classes/order.php
    at line 320 you'll see this:
    Code:
          }
        }
        if ($tax_address_query != '') {
          $tax_address = $db->Execute($tax_address_query);
    Try adding some additional lines, as shown here:
    Code:
          }
        }
    if (strstr($_SESSION['shipping'],'storepickup')) {
      $taxCountryId = STORE_COUNTRY;
      $taxZoneId = STORE_ZONE;
      $tax_address_query = '';
    }
        if ($tax_address_query != '') {
          $tax_address = $db->Execute($tax_address_query);

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the code, but this did not fix the problem. I would think this would just work out of the box. Is anyone using 1.5 and able to get taxes working? If so, can they post the screen shots on how they set this up, and I will try to replicate it...

thanks

Steve

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Taxes in Zen Cart 1.5, and earlier for that matter, work just fine. There are FAQ articles on setting up taxes to work correctly.

But there's obviously a feature limitation SPECIFICALLY ONLY when using the Store Pickup module and charging taxes for everyone on those kinds of transactions.

Moving this thread to the Bug Reports section for consideration in a future version.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with taxes and Store Pickup shipping module

To the group,

What this looks like to me is that it is basing the taxes on my Shipping Address. If I set myself an account and my state (MA) is not equal to the state the store (RI) is in, then it calculates $0.00 for taxes. I changed my shipping address to the same state (RI) as the store (RI), and taxes appeared. I looked my my Store Configuration and it says to calculate taxes based on store location, do I need to change this anywhere else, or is this a bug?

thanks

Steve

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem with taxes and Store Pickup shipping module

As I said, it's a design inefficiency. You might prefer to call it a bug.

The Store Pickup module doesn't require an address, so there's no address to calculate taxes against. It doesn't matter whether you set your store to tax based on "Store" or "Shipping" or "Payment".

You'll do best to set your store to tax based on "Shipping", since that will properly assess taxes on all purchases which you ship to in-state addresses. The others you'll have to handle differently in the meantime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast