Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to handle downloadable products with iOS, iPad, iPhone, etc??

Also, need to change this text:

"To download your files click the download button and choose "Save to Disk" from the popup menu."

It's in the My Account section where the user downloads their files. I can't find it anywhere to edit it. I want to include the iOS warning here to save some headaches. What PHP file is this text in so I can edit it?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lperrie View Post
    I've actually been testing mp3 downloads from some other larger companies that offer media downloads (like CBD.com), and they told me on the phone that I had to download to PC or Mac first and then transfer to mobile device. I think that is the only option.
    That's certainly the most universal option, as it allows them to push the file to all their devices during normal sync operations. And is probably the only way for them to "store" it, other than if they used a different iOS browser app that lets them store it in isolated iTunes File Sharing space, which again they'd need to use iTunes to extract the file from the device before they could put it into the iTunes music library for playback or syncing.
    I'm laughing at myself here. I think this is why people just offer their music directly through iTunes, lol. This is quite a hassle. By the time you pay a payment processor (like Paypal) their $.30 + 2.9%, the $.30 that iTunes charges doesn't look that awful.
    Noted, and well understood. And a more seamless experience for the customer, plus some advertising benefits to you with iTunes handling all the distribution and search results.
    Do note however that PayPal offers a "micropayments" service which has lower fees for merchants who are regularly selling items which cost only a few bucks. There are a few forum discussions talking about micropayments which would be worth reading, as well as talking to PayPal support for more details. You'd need to create a 2nd PayPal account for the micropayments service (and they'd allow you to do that for just that reason).
    Another question - so, I'm sure I'm going to have quite a few people use up their 2 downloads (what I currently have set as the limit) trying to download on the iPad or iPhone. Is there any easy way to use Admin to go into someone's account and give them more downloads for a file AFTER they have used up the amount you originally set?
    Yes, just open the order's details in your admin, and click the reset next to the download file you want to re-enable.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Also, need to change this text:

"To download your files click the download button and choose "Save to Disk" from the popup menu."

It's in the My Account section where the user downloads their files. I can't find it anywhere to edit it. I want to include the iOS warning here to save some headaches. What PHP file is this text in so I can edit it?
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

For iOS, no special functionality, I thought it was basically just hard-coded into the OS to be able to download the file (in some sort of download window, or something)
    Unfortunately not. A bunch of web searching seems to confirm that too. There are lots of articles all over the place about it, some with lots of technical information, some with less, like this one: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...site-on-iphone

The only way around it is to jailbreak the phone and install browser plugins or other alterations to the normal official iOS features. That's not a topic suitable for these forums, nor is it relevant to your desire to sell clips to your customers.

Plugin Contributions

That tool is AWESOME! You have no idea how much time that would have saved me with all the customization I have done on the template and store in general. Thank you!

As far as Paypal micropayments, that is fantastic info as well! I will definitely call them about getting that set up.

Thanks again for all your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12