Thread: String error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: String error

Hmmm, well I configured the values in MY STORE to be Art by Lowell for the store name, and Lowell Smith for the store owner, assuming I could use spaces, I can can't I?

Plugin Contributions

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell37 View Post
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in ...
    Glenn is right that often that sort of message is a result of a syntax error happening on a previous line.
    And, in that case, putting back a backup copy of the file is often the easiest fix. If that doesn't work, then putting back the "original" file from the original Zen Cart zip is the next thing to try. Or, just delete your custom version of the file altogether so that the original one loads itself (assuming you're using an override folder, as you should be, for your customizations).

Sometimes, however, the problem is a knock-on effect of changes you've made in other files that the system has loaded before the one where the error message has manifested itself.
    So, in that regard, I'd suggest thinking back to everything else you've been altering, and do some double-checking there too.

Another thing to consider as well is invisible characters added by weak editors such as those offered in web browsers, or in applications made by microsoft. In this case, if you can't find those characters, start with an original copy of the file and open it with a reliable text editor application (like Notepad++) and manually re-type your alterations, WITHOUT copy-and-pasting from the bad file.

Or, maybe the problem is actually someplace else that you can't recall touching. This is the best way to find such things: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

OK I've downloaded a complete ZC install zip to my PC and copied the correct file (create_account) to my override folder, but that didn't work. Then I deleted the override version altogether and that didn't work either.
    According to the site you recommended, I should try the following:
    1.Download all your site's files by FTP to a new temporary folder on your PC.
    2.Run WinMerge or a similar Diff/comparison tool to compare all your site's files against a freshly unzipped copy of the same version of Zen Cart™. You can find the original release ZIPs here.
    3.Identify all the differences, and check each one to see if it could cause the problem.

I'm not sure I know how to use FTP to do that, much less figure out discrepancies. (God knows what fiddling I've done in various places) If you recommend I follow the steps above, how? Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Well I finally found the problem:
    I had been focusing on the public_ file, but then thought to check out the www/ version, and it still had the old corrupt file.
    I thought the two paths mirrored each other?

Anyway, I deleted the corrupt file (which did delete the public version) and replaced them with the file from my zc_admin/backups file.

Problem solved, Thanks for suffering through this with me guys!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, normally the public_html folder is the "real" folder, and the www alias is just an alternate shortcut ("symlink") to the same place.

If they're not the same in your case, then I suggest emptying out the folder that's not used so that you don't run into the same confusion later. Plus it's not good to leave unused sets of files sitting around especially if they could be accessed by outsiders.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

You think I should delete the whole www folder? or maybe just keep an eye on it to see if its functioning correctly?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I would delete whichever folder is not in use for anything legitimate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12