Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How to find where (category descriptions) are located?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
    I did not do the original install of the product but have tried to dig thru finding where 'stuff' lives. I can add products with no problem but if I need to make a change to the html page to add info or change what's displayed; I have a terrible time trying to find the suckers! I've been looking for a specific page for a couple of hours now and still have not found it!!! How the heck do you find the path to the different html files that make up each page that is displayed on the website? It should NOT be this hard to find something, what am I missing that makes this task so difficult?????? Please someone, enlightened me.
    I want to upgrade to the newest version but reading the doc files, I'm not sure I want to tackle this but know it has got to be done. I'm not a newbie to webdesign but this is my first shopping cart and I am quickly becoming overwhelmed with the enormity of doing this upgrade. Especially when it's so difficult just finding the files I need!!!
    Sharon
    Oh shoot! I failed to tell details. Using V1.3.0 on a Windows Server, yea I know, it's a very old version....hence why I'm looking into upgrading to the newest version.

[/FONT]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to find where files are located?

There aren't any "html" pages.
    The HTML output to the browser is generated dynamically via PHP scripts.

So the real question is ... what exactly are you wanting to edit/change, and why?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Developer's tool kit is your friend. To find which files are generating which pages, use it to search on the content contained within the page you'd like to find.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39

Plugin Contributions

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks, That is exactly what I was trying to find out!!! I've been trying to get this site upgraded and moved to a new server for a while now. I tried to move it first but had to abandon that (recommendations from this forum) and am now trying to upgrade on the old site, then move it. But in the meantime, I've found a couple of things I want/need to change on a couple of pages but couldn't find where they lived.
    Thanks again!
    Sharon

[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    Developer's tool kit is your friend. To find which files are generating which pages, use it to search on the content contained within the page you'd like to find.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

I followed this suggestion and tried every file catagory offered but it couldn't find the selected text that I had copied to the clipboard from the webpage.
    Any other suggestions?

[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

What exactly was the text you copied, and what page was it on? If the text was generated by more than one PHP statement or element, it will not exist as a whole anywhere. Try the smallest distinctive snippet, and use what would be created/stored as one "chunk", like the text that comes before or after a variable bit of output.

Plugin Contributions

Exactly: 'The Order of the Eastern Star' is the search text and it's on the first page of the Eastern Star product page. I've tried the above search text and I've also tried just 'Eastern Star'. The first text I listed is not on any other page but 'Eastern Star' is....
    Since 'Eastern Star' is on other pages, should I try some other criteria? While waiting for a reply I'm going to try that..
    Thanks
    Sharon
    Last edited by Kim; 26 Jan 2012 at 04:01 AM.

Plugin Contributions

That sounds like a product or category name; those are stored in the database, not in files. If this is the case, you will find the text in admin > Catalog > Categories/Products, when you edit whatever item it is.

Plugin Contributions

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

Sorry, no it's not a product, it's describing what Eastern Star is. Don't know if it's allowed but here is a link to the page I'm trying to find.
    https://www.ruthsdesigns.com/store/i...=index&cPath=1

Maybe this will better explain...
    Sharon

[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Okay, that is part of a category description, as I suspected. "Eastern Star" is the category name. Go edit that category and change the description.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast