Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Console and Shopping Cart are gone!

Also, auto-installers like fantastico usually require you to install Zen Cart in a subfolder instead of in your domain root, which is where you would normally want the store (immediately accessible to customers). Installing manually allows you to specify the exact location, and really doesn't take any more computer knowledge than auto-installers (unless they create the database for you, leaving you totally in the dark about your critically important database).
    You can use your hosting control panel to create the database without knowing anything about how it works, but you will then have a clue about where to look if something goes wrong.

Plugin Contributions

cart error Re: Admin Console and Shopping Cart are gone!

stevesh, that sounds almost too easy--I think I could actually do that! Dare I dream that this nightmare could be over soon??

So what you're saying is...once I download the Zencart zip file onto my computer's hard drive, I just need to find those two files (i.e. english.php and index.php) in their respective folders within the zip file and copy them into the right folders on my FTP server (i.e. includes/languages and includes/languages/english), overwriting the two damaged files in the process? I hope that's what you meant because that was my understanding. lol I'll keep you posted...

gjh42, will you please elaborate on your comments about auto-installers? I assume that's what I used by going through SuperScripts, but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. My main Zen Cart "shop" folder is located as a Directory under the FTP root at ftp.site.com. Is that right??

Signed,
    Hope can be cruel =)
    Last edited by EmJayNaturalBeautiqu; 7 Feb 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Plugin Contributions

You've got it right:)

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Admin Console and Shopping Cart are gone!

I CAN BREATHE AGAIN!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU TO STEVESH, DRBYTE, AND GLH42 for pulling me back from the precipice!!! After replacing those two files with new ones from a fresh Zen Cart zip download, my shopping cart is back and good as new!

NOW...Will somebody PLEASE tell me that most efficient way to back up my Zen Cart database and files so that I can do it every two seconds from now on?? LOL I'm somewhat familiar with backing up the MySQL database after last night's ordeal (but not very much), and definitely not so much with the FTP files side of it. Is it just a matter of copying the entire folder of FTP files into a location on my computer, or is there more involved than that? How often is often enough? Any advice is appreciated because I plan on backing up everything in a few hours.

Thanks again to my new online friends. Please forward me your phone numbers so I can put you on speed dial! lol j/k

EmJayNaturalBeautiqu
    Last edited by EmJayNaturalBeautiqu; 7 Feb 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Plugin Contributions

My main Zen Cart "shop" folder is located as a Directory under the FTP root at ftp.site.com. Is that right??
    Not 100% certain of what you have from this description, but if customers reach the store by www.yourdomain.com/shop/, that is what I was talking about. There is usually no good reason to put the store and your products one click deeper in your site - let them at it as fast as possible! :)

Plugin Contributions

Yes, that's what I meant: www.mydomain.com/shop/ is where the store's home page is. When I was using my prior shopping cart, that's where it was automatically installed, so when I installed Zen Cart, it seemed like the most logical place for it.

Plugin Contributions

So you had an index.html in www.mydomain.com/ that pointed visitors to the store? Unless you have a compelling reason to make users go through/past other content first, it would be better to have the store directly in www.mydomain.com/.

Plugin Contributions

Is it just a matter of copying the entire folder of FTP files into a location on my computer
    For doing a complete backup, yes. When doing individual file edits, just backup the original before editing.

Also, make sure you are using the overrides system. Tutorial here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=36

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by EmJayNaturalBeautiqu View Post

NOW...Will somebody PLEASE tell me that most efficient way to back up my Zen Cart database and files so that I can do it every two seconds from now on?? Is it just a matter of copying the entire folder of FTP files into a location on my computer, or is there more involved than that? How often is often enough? .
    I use the Export function in phpMyAdmin to save a copy of the database to my local machine, then immediately copy it to a USB drive.

For the files, I use the Compress function in CPanel's File Manager, then download the zip file and copy it, too, to the USB drive.

I think how often depends on your site and how much business you're doing. I have one site (with forum and blog) that I back up three times a day. My (excellent) host also backs everything (files and DB) every 24 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12