Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Specials price is net? Confusion!

It looks like zen cart uses a "special" price as a NET price (and add's tax to it) - is this correct?

My client has been entering his specials as GROSS (after tax) thinking that the price entered into the special price box would be shown as the price on the website (kinda logical)

To give an example

NET PRICE: 132.50
    GROSS PRICE: 159.99 (UK VAT is currently 20%)

SPECIAL PRICE ENTERED IN ADMIN: £130 (the price he wants to sell the item for)

PRICE SHOWN ON WEBSITE:

£159 (crossed out)
    £156 (which is £130 + 20%)

To add to the confusion he also has SaleMaker setup to discount 10% from all products in that category so that then gives a new price of £140.40 (12% off)

It looks like Zen Cart is using 2 different pricing policies - on one hand it is using the special price as a NET price (and adding tax) but then reducing the GROSS price by 10%

SaleMaker is doing it correctly (as far as I am concerned) but is there any way of applying the specials price to the GROSS price and not the NET price or failing that a SQL query that would correct the problem (divide the current sale price by 1.20 to get it to the NET price) and then the client would need to enter all future specials based on NET price...

if you didn't fall asleep half way through reading that I would appreciate the help!

Thanks

Tony

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Specials price is net? Confusion!

I have exactly the same issue. I can only find this post to the problem and no answer.

Did you find out if it is possible to enter it gross?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Specials price is net? Confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by twdhosting View Post
    It looks like zen cart uses a "special" price as a NET price (and add's tax to it) - is this correct?

My client has been entering his specials as GROSS (after tax) thinking that the price entered into the special price box would be shown as the price on the website (kinda logical)

To give an example

NET PRICE: 132.50
    GROSS PRICE: 159.99 (UK VAT is currently 20%)

SPECIAL PRICE ENTERED IN ADMIN: £130 (the price he wants to sell the item for)

PRICE SHOWN ON WEBSITE:

£159 (crossed out)
    £156 (which is £130 + 20%)

To add to the confusion he also has SaleMaker setup to discount 10% from all products in that category so that then gives a new price of £140.40 (12% off)

It looks like Zen Cart is using 2 different pricing policies - on one hand it is using the special price as a NET price (and adding tax) but then reducing the GROSS price by 10%

SaleMaker is doing it correctly (as far as I am concerned) but is there any way of applying the specials price to the GROSS price and not the NET price or failing that a SQL query that would correct the problem (divide the current sale price by 1.20 to get it to the NET price) and then the client would need to enter all future specials based on NET price...

if you didn't fall asleep half way through reading that I would appreciate the help!

Thanks

Tony
    I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like you could have what you want if you use gross price as your base price and turn off taxing. So now your net price is your gross price and your special price and discount would behave as you wish.

I mean, either you let the system do the taxing by zone or you do the taxing manually (built into the price) and don't use the zone and taxing features. Thus the specials and discounts all work off the one and only price that is listed for an item.

Or am I not understanding?