Plugin Contributions

Default looking for Host running PHP5.2 so I can stay on v1.3.7

Hi,
    I have 3 sites hosted by Terranetwork. They are about to close down PHP5.2 and upgrade to PHP5.3. They have warned me that nonoe of my sites will work after upgrade cuz they are using Zencart v1.3.7 which is not PHP5.3 compatible.

Having read posts regarding upgrading Zencart, it seems like an absolute nightmare especially as I have customised loads of the core files. I can't spare the time and heartache of upgrading this so i wondered if anyone out there knows of a host who will provide PHP5.2 ?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated otherwise I may have to shut down my sites until I can find time to rebuild them

Thanks

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: looking for Host running PHP5.2 so I can stay on v1.3.7

If you don't mind another opinion, I think you're approaching this exactly backwards.

Version 1.3.7 is very insecure, and it's surprising you haven't been hacked before this.

If I were in your position, I would create a new Zencart 1.5.0 installation for each of your current sites and import (and upgrade) the existing database. Chances are not all of the core edits you made were necessary anyway, and if your sites have been around that long, chances are they're due for a facelift anyway.

Plugin Contributions

If you absolutely cannot find the time to upgrade, DrByte posted some potential solutions here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140960

Plugin Contributions

They shouldn't do that.

I had similar issue with 5.2 and 5.3. I need on site to run on 5.3 and the others to run on 5.2. I do however have a dedicated server, i had them configure it to use multiple PHP versions.

The default is set for 5.3. If I need a site to run on a different version all I have to do is add apache handler to the htaccess file for that site to call the version I want.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

v1.3.7 was released in 2006, and was designed for PHP 4.
    It is now 2012, and PHP 5.3 is current technology. PHP 4 is officially no longer supported. And even PHP 5.2 is becoming more and more rare because of security reasons.
    Furthermore, ZC v1.3.7 and 1.3.8 have well known security vulnerabilities. You owe it to your customers to upgrade to the latest version for the sake of security and fraud prevention.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your replies. Doesn't really help though. I do know that I should upgrade but it would be easier and quicker to re-build the sites from scratch. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this before my hosts close down PHP5.2 support.
    I am looking for a host to get me through the period of time between now and when i can get the sites re-built, on the basis that it's better to run on 1.3.7 for a few months than have the site down.
    I'm going to try the work-around suggested by RescoCCC

Dave

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by nimrodel View Post
    I do know that I should upgrade but it would be easier and quicker to re-build the sites from scratch.
    That's what an upgrade is anyway, while retaining the existing data.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmmmm... so a brand new site is merely an upgrade of a site that hasn't existed yet?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Huh? Now you're twisting words around needlessly. An upgrade involves rebuilding your customisations on top of the new version. You have the old version as a handy reference about EXACTLY what you customised to make your current site. So building it again on the new site is primarily a simple task of porting your changes from old to new. It's only as complicated as you make it.

Rather than bantering here about how to avoid upgrading, your time would be better spent working on the upgrade before time runs out for you.

You were given notice by your host many months ago about the need to upgrade. Your host is not the problem.

Plugin Contributions

im with terranetwork and they are excellent, i will quote an email from sept 2011

PHP5.3 Upgrade and register_globals OFF on 26 Sep 2011 from 8pm
    We are upgrading all remaining servers to PHP5.3 on 26th September 2011 from 8pm UK time. At the same time, we will update the server php.ini to set register_globals to OFF.
    What changes are being made?
    The server will be upgraded to PHP5.3. A PHP switch will be implemented to allow sites to continue to run on PHP5.2 for a further 6 months if required. By default, all sites will run on PHP5.3. Switching to PHP5.2 will require a manual change to the site.
    The server's php.ini file will be updated to register_globals OFF, register_long_arrays OFF and magic_quotes_gpc OFF. These settings will be the default for all sites, unless a local php.ini file is uploaded to the site's directory structure.

so 6 months later ........

bn