Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: E-mail logo's won't change

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHD View Post
    Thank you. I will see if there is a simple editor available on the server.
    Are you telling me that you don't use a text editor on your PC when touching files?
    Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus-plus.org ) is one of the better ones, and it's free.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Dr.Byte:

No, I usually just go to the server and use their "code editor." I don't have the site on my pc in order to edit it. The only time I use ck editor is through admin.

Thanks,

Silver

Plugin Contributions

DrBryte:

I take it that was the wrong way to go. I have downloaded Filezilla server, Gimp 2, Xampp, Notepadd++, Winmerge. I did this at the very beginning. It came with: http://www.picaflor-azul.com/index.p...age=page&id=43. I still have all of them. If there is a way to download the site to this software, I have no problem with it. To be honest, it's better that screwing up the server.

Thanks,

Silver

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHD View Post
    DrBryte:

I take it that was the wrong way to go. I have downloaded Filezilla server, Gimp 2, Xampp, Notepadd++, Winmerge. I did this at the very beginning. It came with: http://www.picaflor-azul.com/index.p...age=page&id=43. I still have all of them. If there is a way to download the site to this software, I have no problem with it. To be honest, it's better that screwing up the server.

Thanks,

Silver
    Regarding your email header logo. Easiest solution is to create it as a jpg image and FTP that to your server. Why dig around in the code to edit stuff unnecessarily?

The ORIGINAL image is a jpg, giving a clear hint that jpg is the format required.

And as far as "editing" files is concerned:-

Filezilla (not a good choice - and I'll explain why later) is a FTP program. It creates a CONNECTION between your computer and the remote server.

Then, when the connection is established, you can TRANSFER files between the two machines. Files can:
    * come FROM the server TO your home machine,
    * and they can go TO the server FROM your home machine.

FTP is used in preference to C-Panel file upload and code editors, because C-Panel is not "reliable" enough to ensure PLAIN TEXT EDITING. PHP is very sensitive, and even a tiny syntax error can collapse an entire website.

FTP stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL - so it does what it says on the box... TRANSFERS FILES.

The way to work with your ZC installation (in fact ANY website), is to BRING IN files FROM the server TO your home machine, when they need editing.

Technically, what you are doing is bringing in a COPY of the file to your home computer - - - and THAT is what you edit - - - a COPY.

The ORIGINAL file remains untouched on the server. If you edit in C-Panel, you are editing the ORIGINAL FILE !!!!!!!!

And if you make errors, then doing a u-turn can be difficult and time-consuming.

SO - use FTP to grab COPIES of files that need editing.

When a file is EDITED on your home machine, you navigate BACK to the server, and find the ORIGINAL of the file, and RE-NAME that with a different file extension - something like .bak or .suspended .

Then - after the rename of the ORIGINAL, you FTP your edited copy to the server. The .bak file is just that - a BACKUP of the ORIGINAL which can be brought back to life if your edited version fails to work.

FILEZILLA is popular - but I do not like it at all, as it is cumbersome and insecure.

I use WS-FTP PRO from Ipswitch and that is MUCH better, more intuitive and operates securely.

Plugin Contributions

fairescape:

Thanks for all, and I mean all of the info. To be honest, being new, I really didn't understand a lot of what you just said. I have downloaded XXampp, Fillzilla server, Gimp2, Notepad++, from the directions at: http://www.picaflor-azul.com/index.p...age=page&id=43. but I have never used it because I don't know how. I hope that you understand that I started our 11 years ago with FrontPage and that has been it. I was able to get Dreamweaver but apparently, that wasn't good either. Since I have gone with Zen, it's a whole new world, and I am learning and getting frustrated all at once. One thing is for sure. I am definitely not a quitter. I need the money and somewhat of a success to do that.

Thanks,

Silver

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The simplest would be to just keep using header.jpg as the filename. Save your image as /email/header.jpg, and then that'll be what shows up on future messages. No need to change any Zen Cart PHP or HTML files if you're going to use the same name as what the system already uses. Just replace the existing image file and it'll work fine.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

You don't need to create a local INSTALL of your site. Some people install and use XAMPP for dev purposes, but for us average people, it's not necessary.

The most important management tools are:

GOOD FTP PROGRAM - as I said, I use WS-FTP Pro
    GOOD PLAIN TEXT EDITOR - Notepad ++ or Crimson Editor (both FREE)
    GOOD FILE COMPARISON TOOL - WinMerge or Beyond Compare

Years ago, Microsoft packaged FrontPage with MS IMAGE COMPOSER, which is quite nifty as a reliable image editor. I still use it for quick edits to image files, and to create simple banner adverts.

If you have MS FrontPage, see if your version has MS IMAGE COMPOSER.

Like all the really good products they ever developed, MS discontinued Image Composer several years ago and decided to focus on delivering crap instead. Pity.... this was quite an easy and reliable tool for novices.

Plugin Contributions

Fairestcape:

Thanks for help and advice. I can use all I can get. No my version of FP (2002) doesn't have Image Composer. I will check into the other recommendations.

Silver

Plugin Contributions

Ah... I have FP 2002, but also a copy of FP 97 - and that disk has Image Composer... Lordy be ! That's 16 years ago!

PM me your postal address. I'll mail the MS FP-97 disk to you. I'm sure MS won't make a fuss of it since they abandoned the stuff over a decade ago.

(I'm in London until end March - then back to Cape Town for 2 months)

Plugin Contributions

In Thunderbird clicking on the "show remote content" button fixed it for me I mean showed the latest image content.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123