Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default how to setup canadian tax?

Hello.

I just finished building a site for a friend located in Quebec .
    I like to know how to setup Tax.
    I did read through tutorial
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=75

but what is confusing , is that why do i have to setup tax zone and rates for all provinces? My understanding is that . if business is in Quebec , all sales in Quebec subject to GST and QST , and sales to reset of Canada subject to only GST ( Quebec GST rate ). so setting up HST/GST/PST and other provinces seems to be useless.

any suggestion ?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to setup canadian tax?

You only need to set up provinces for which you must charge (collect and remit) taxes.
    Talk with your own tax expert about those requirements. And then configure your store according to whatever your tax accountant instructs you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Try this. Make sure you backup your database first.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=250

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

And you STILL need to consult your tax accountant.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    I don't need to setup any HST or GST PST for other provinces but Quebec.

all sales in Quebec is subject to GST / QST .. and all sales to other provinces subject to GST

tutorial is confusing and is good for someone that got store all over Canada

waiting for site to go live , once live , i will have to test the site , i will see what happens during tax calculation .

thanks.

Plugin Contributions

I do business in Canada. Provinces that have HST have to charge the HST of the respective province. As an example I'm in BC where we have 12% HST. If I sell some thing to someone in Ontario, I have to charge Ont HST, which is 13%. If I sell to Alberta which has only 5% GST , I have to charge that. It's an accounting nightmare.
    But any way, do what DrByte says and check with an account.

Plugin Contributions

So what you saying is that , I have to setup tax zone , rate for all provinces?

I know nothing about stuff like that , so I was assuming , as a business in Quebec, If i m selling something let say to Ontario resident , I would charge buyer a GST that corresponds to GST rate in Quebec .

But what you saying , is that I have to charge customer from different province tax rates that corresponds to buyers province ? ..

I really ( my friend really ) needs to talk to a accountant . im already confused as it is .

Thanks for info's

Plugin Contributions

is there any canadian store , that has done the setup for new canadian taxes ? i need help with setting this thing up .thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The setup is the same as described previously. Simply create the appropriate zones for the corresponding taxes which you must charge.

Don't set up zones or taxes for destinations for which you are not required/registered to collect tax. And, as I said earlier, to determine which zones those are, your tax accountant is the one you need to consult for that information.

Plugin Contributions

I had to use this thread to setup my taxes and noticed some confusion going on ,,, i followed the tutorial and found pretty simple ... but for future references for people check out this link http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/page/2651/ ... it outlines exactly everything about charging exporting taxes etc ... Good Luck !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast