Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installation Issue - Admin Password not recognized

Hi All,

I am really stuck. I have installed zen cart 7 times since yesterday, every time I get the "Installation successfull" message.

Backend is ubuntu 10.11 server on a virtualbox vm.

I clearly record my admin uid and pwd.
    I also do these after install tasks:
    .remove installation folder
    .change name of admin folder
    .change permissions for both config.php files

After all of this I go to the store and everything ok.

then I go to the admin page and I get the "Enter uid and pwd" login. I clearly write the ones I previously recorded and try to go in but nothing happens!(Even checked the admin table in phpmyadmin and my details are there correctly)
    trying to send them to my email is useless as well as I never receive anything!
    What can I be doing wrong?

Can somebody pls help me?

Thanks,
    Leo

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installation Issue - Admin Password not recognized

1. If in phpMyAdmin you're seeing your password in the admin table showing in clear text, then it definitely won't work. Those passwords are stored encrypted, so mangling that data yourself absolutely won't work.

2. If the admin login page is refreshing without any error message at all, then it's NOT rejecting your password. Instead it's symptomatic of a session problem. Either your server isn't handling sessions properly, or your browser isn't accepting session cookies properly, or a combination of the two.
    If you're running the store from a URL consisting of an IP address instead of a properly named FQDN then I'm not surprised that you're having session problems. Change to a proper FQDN and it'll work much better. Since you said you're using a virtual machine, I suspect using "localhost" will probably work a lot better than using 127.0.0.1

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Installation Issue - Admin Password not recognized

Dear DrByte,

Before anything I must say THANK U! You pointed me in the right direction and gave me ideas I couldn't see in my frustration... :)

I was using Chrome and it didn't (and still doesn't) allow me to go into the admin area. After reading your message i sayd... "what if...?" so i tried IE and it worked immediately! WTH?

Still don't know what issue there must be. I've been using Chrome to work with Joomla site and Admin as well as for Zen cart Site and didn't think about problems with the browser.

I'm quite new with this as you can see and don't even know much about how to set up a domain name, as you advice, I'll look into it with time.

Anyway THANKS a lot for your time and acerted comment.

Best regards,
    Leo

Plugin Contributions

Normally, Chrome works fine for logging in to the Zen Cart admin. Have you tried clearing browsing data, closing and then re-opening the browser?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post

2. If the admin login page is refreshing without any error message at all, then it's NOT rejecting your password. Instead it's symptomatic of a session problem. Either your server isn't handling sessions properly, or your browser isn't accepting session cookies properly, or a combination of the two.
    If you're running the store from a URL consisting of an IP address instead of a properly named FQDN then I'm not surprised that you're having session problems. Change to a proper FQDN and it'll work much better. Since you said you're using a virtual machine, I suspect using "localhost" will probably work a lot better than using 127.0.0.1
    new 1.5 install last week, on a server that 1.3.9h is working fine on.
    Admin was working great for 3 days, than all of a sudden I can no longer log into my admin. I have tried IE 9, Chrome, and FF and the login page just flashes and refreshes. I get the email "Admin login failure notice" and password resets are not working either.

Any help with this?

url is https:\\www.domainname.com/adminfolder/login.php?camefrom=index.php
    Newest Site: ChargerPros - Stuff4Toys

Plugin Contributions

OK, did the tutorial and created an new admin account and got loged in. don't know what happened with the old username, but the new one works.
    Last edited by Stuff4Toys; 19 Mar 2012 at 03:24 AM.
    Newest Site: ChargerPros - Stuff4Toys

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=DrByte;1109232]1. If in phpMyAdmin you're seeing your password in the admin table showing in clear text, then it definitely won't work. Those passwords are stored encrypted, so mangling that data yourself absolutely won't work.

My phpMyAdmin password is encrypted but in my admin/includes/configure.php is not. I have v1.5 installed.
    I also have a v1.39 copy of my configure.php and it is encrypted. So if someone can hack my admin folder they can easily get my password. How can I encrypt it in v1.5? I have renamed my admin by the way.
    Last edited by dewragdave; 9 May 2012 at 02:40 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dewragdave View Post
    My phpMyAdmin password is encrypted but in my admin/includes/configure.php is not.
    These are *different* passwords (and user accounts), that serve different purposes.

So if someone can hack my admin folder they can easily get my password.
    I'm unsure what your definition of 'hack' is, but if someone has a means to read your configure.php files then it's 'game over' anyway.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    These are *different* passwords (and user accounts), that serve different purposes.

I'm unsure what your definition of 'hack' is, but if someone has a means to read your configure.php files then it's 'game over' anyway.

Cheers
    Rod
    Well, the Wikipedia definition of a hacker is:
    Hacker (computer security) or cracker, who accesses a computer system by circumventing its security system.

So why would a Zen-cart tutorial tell us to rename the ADMIN folder?
    Is it that easy to open someone's folder and open the configure.php file and low and behold there is an un-encrypted password that gets them full admin rights.
    It was encrypted in v1.39... why is in not encrypted in v1.5?????
    I'm looking for a way to fix it not the resulting problems from someone finding it.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It was encrypted in v1.39.
    I'm not sure where you got that idea from.
    No, the database-password in the configure.php files have never been "encrypted". Because it doesn't work that way.
    There was no change to that between v1.3.9 and v1.5.0. You must be thinking of something completely different.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast