Plugin Contributions

help question Intermittent PayPal problem. Confirmation email and order details often absent.

Hi there, I know there have been a lot of posts about this and I've searched them all to no avail. My last resort is posting here.

I've had a zen cart store for several years now and have always used PayPal IPN with very few issues. Until recently when I upgraded from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9h and also changed the fileset of my database from Latin1 to UTF8 to handle Japanese characters properly.

80% of the times when people purchase, a notification comes through from PayPal that someone has paid me, but no order confirmation is being sent to the customer and hence no details of the order are being forwarded to me. The other 20% are fine.

Many people on this forum say PayPal Express Checkout is more stable and more modern. So I installed it and found that due to my "Wordpress on Zen cart" integrated blog (very important for driving new customers my way) there is a problem which renders this PayPal Express module unusable (10727 Shipping Address 1 missing). I can see no answers to this problem on this forum, just people saying it exists. So I'm left with PayPal IPN as my only option (unless anyone knows a workaround here?!).

The really annoying thing is that I can't recreate the issue. Every test order I put through goes through with no problems whatsoever. It doesn't seem to matter where the customers are in the world either, local or international the problem seemingly has no pattern. I've checked all the addresses people gave me and can see no strange characters. My site is based in Japan and customers ordering in Japanese all seem to go through just fine.

I've used the IPN check tool and got the following glowing results:

"IPNCHECK.PHP - Version 1.3.9

IPN TESTING - Response Received via CURL -- COMMUNICATIONS OKAY

IPN TESTING - Confirmation/Validation response with fsockopen(): FSOCKOPEN() RESPONSE RECEIVED - Communications OKAY

Default method likely to be used for communications is: CURL, with the fallback method being FSOCKOPEN if possible.

Script finished."

I've even removed all wordpress addons which handled the automatic processing of metatags as one thread on this forum said sometimes that causes issues. Still the problem persists.

Here's some logs from a recent English language transaction that went through on PayPal, but was ignored by Zen Cart. Obviously the customer's details have been changed before posting these files here but there were absolutely no strange characters or overly long fields.

Any help anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
    www.t-shitsu.com

Zen 1.3.9h
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.9d
    PHP Version 5.3.8
    Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Intermittent PayPal problem. Confirmation email and order details often absent.

How do the logs for this transaction compare with the logs of a successful transaction? The differences are important.

Please click Reply below and answer all the questions in the Posting Tips section on that page.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Intermittent PayPal problem. Confirmation email and order details often absent.

OK, here's the logs for a test transaction I put through fine shortly after the logs that I posted previously didn't go through as they should.

The transactions which don't go through have only two files, the ones which do have three.

Here's the answers to the questions too:

Using Zen1.3.9h. Upgraded from 1.3.8 but had issues during the upgrade so wiped everything off and did a fresh install of 1.3.9h. Connected to the previous database and all seemed ok.

The reason I upgraded was because I was having trouble getting paypal to recognise Japanese characters on their website. If a customer went through checkout and then tried to pay on paypal (IPN) via credit card their information was auto-filled on the paypal form but came out as nonsensical characters... all apart from one field!! Very strange, contacted paypal, and they told me to change the settings on their site so that they see my site as a Japanese language site, no joy. Changed the settings in PayPal so they read my site as UTF8, no joy. Searched many places and ended up changing the collation of the database to UTF_general. Still no joy. Changed the collation again to UTF_unicode and all relevant individual structures and fields to UTF_unicode too. Still no joy. Gave up thinking that it was just something I'd have to live with... then the sales stopped going through properly and I did this a lot:

As for AddOns, I have the following installed :

WOZ (wordpress for Zencart)
    stock by attributes
    Image Handler 3
    Fual Slimbox v0.1.5
    Ship2pay 1.5.1
    time zone offset v1.3.9d (which sometimes throws up errors and automatically changes the time zone to 3 hours out of sync with Japan - where my store is based)

Site is hosted by JustHost and was all working fine before the fresh install, database alterations and small changes to PayPal settings. I'd like to reset everything in the database back to latin1 (it all worked then) but am unsure of how much damage I'll do to the database itself by doing this and also if this would solve the issue. I've seen some posts Dr Byte has commented on where he never advises this action as it can corrupt the data. I read that post after making the changes and did this again:

Thanks for any help in advance, I've got a magazine article going out to a possible 500,000 people on March 30th and if this isn't sorted by then, I'm in deep .

Cheers,

Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

When you upgraded, did you upgrade the /ipn_main_handler.php file too? or is it still the old one for v1.3.8?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I just did a fresh install of 1.3.9h so I'm assuming it's the correct version. Here's the text from the top of that file:

* ipn_main_handler.php callback handler for PayPal IPN notifications
    * @package paymentMethod
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2010 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: ipn_main_handler.php 18014 2010-10-22 03:39:17Z drbyte $
    */
    if (!defined('TEXT_RESELECT_SHIPPING')) define('TEXT_RESELECT_SHIPPING', 'You have changed the items in your cart since shipping was last calculated, and costs may have changed. Please verify/re-select your shipping method.');

/**
    * handle Express Checkout processing:
    */

That's odd, though. I've just checked the live ipn_main_handler.php with the one in the version 1.3.9h source files and it seems quite different.

It's a different file size and begins like this:

* ipn_main_handler.php callback handler for PayPal IPN notifications
    * @package paymentMethod
    * @copyright Copyright 2003-2010 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    * @version $Id: ipn_main_handler.php 16520 2010-05-30 16:45:02Z drbyte $
    */

/**
    * handle Express Checkout processing:*/

Would I be right in thinking I should upload the one from the 1.3.9h source files and overwrite the one currently live? Chances of this being the main problem? Light at the end of this long dark tunnel?!

Thanks for your speedy reply, Dr Byte.

Tony

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're using 1.3.9h on your site, then you'll definitely want to use the one that comes in the official v1.3.9h release zip.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, Dr Byte. I've uploaded the 1.3.9h paypal files again as it seems a few of them were the wrong version. I've also done a test sale and it went through fine (although this doesn't mean that live sales will go through any better as I can't replicate the problem).

Is there anything else you or anyone can see with the information I've given here that could cause issues? Database for example? Just wanna make sure I've asked all I can.

I'll be getting a whole load of live sales from March 30th 2012 so it'd be great if this thread could be kept open for a little while. I'll post back early-mid March and let you know if the problem is solved.

Thanks again,

Tony

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you've found several outdated files, then for a tuneup I would suggest: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

Plugin Contributions

Excellent advice. Will get on it. Cheers, Dr Byte.