Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Storm View Post
Can't believe I overlooked it before, but in a sticky'ed thread at the top of this board, is following:

NOTE: These settings were removed from Zen Cart v1.5.0 because they should never be enabled.

So, the Zen Cart development team did indeed remove these settings (which is quite silly, considering cURL proxy appears to be enabled be default).
OK, now I'm bamboozled.

The following code is from zen 1.5 mysql_zencart.sql

Code:
INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) VALUES ('cURL Proxy Status', 'CURL_PROXY_REQUIRED', 'False', 'Does your host require that you use a proxy for cURL communication?', 6, '50', 'zen_cfg_select_option(array(\'True\', \'False\'), ', now());
INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, last_modified, date_added, use_function, set_function) VALUES ('cURL Proxy Address', 'CURL_PROXY_SERVER_DETAILS', '', 'If you have a hosting service that requires use of a proxy to talk to external sites via cURL, enter their proxy address here.<br />format: address:port<br />ie: 127.0.0.1:3128', 6, 51, NULL, now(), NULL, NULL);
And this is from the zen 139-150 upgrade script

Code:
UPDATE configuration set configuration_title='CURL Proxy Address', configuration_value = '', configuration_group_id = 6, configuration_description = 'If you have a hosting service that requires use of a proxy to talk to external sites via cURL, enter their proxy address here.<br />format: address:port<br />ie: 127.0.0.1:3128' where configuration_key = 'CURL_PROXY_SERVER_DETAILS';
Hopefully one of the Dev team could elaborate on the apparent contradiction (Thanks guys).

GoDaddy had me try using PayPal Express Checkout with cURL disabled (which I knew wouldn't work), but regardless. The issue is clearly on Zen Cart's end, and it's becoming evident by lack of response that this is either an uncommon or unknown issue.
At this stage I really don't know what to think.
That being said, it looks like I'll be scrapping Zen Cart in favor of less obtuse software.
Forgive me for saying this, but such comments always seem to come across as if it would be some kind of loss to the zencart team. This would be true if it were a commercial system, but that isn't the case, the team will lose nothing at all if you choose to not use it.

Furthermore, I don't know of any eCommerce software that doesn't have a bug or three, and although you probably don't see or realise it (yet) after you've tried several of the other offerings available, discovered their bugs and start looking for support you will soon appreciate that when it comes to support, Zencart is second to none ... At least that has been MY experience so far (In case you weren't aware, I've developed a shipping module for a number of the more popular systems available and probably spend more time in the various support forums than most people).
Don't take my word for it though, please try some of the others. You'll probably end up back here anyway :)

Cheers
Rod