Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Too many attributes? Store too slow

I have searched for a few days, and found some help, not not enough for this issue. My load time for product pages is approx. 9 seconds, way too long.

I am on v1.3.9h
    My site is http://tinyurl.com/6r9v7cm
    I have done the jquery cache module, that helped a little.
    I have done the recommendations from this thread that I could. https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21
    I have the advanced shipper module
    Based on advice from my zen cart expert I moved from httpme to a VPS (level 3) on Hostgator.
    I have optimized database
    I have optimized all my images
    and purged debug files

So the attributes I have (and they all seem necessary to collect the information I need.
    Screen Charge (radio)
    Product Color (dropdown)
    Mixed Colors Breakdown (text)
    Ink Color (dropdown)
    Metallic ink (radio)
    Art Charge (radio)
    Print Design Front side (dropdown)
    Print Design Back side (dropdown)
    Extra Options (checkbox)
    Attached Art file (file)
    2nd Attached art file (file)
    Text for imprint area (text)
    Delivery Date (text)

All of this information is necessary to actually produce an order. I don't know if I could combine any of them, (don't see how)

The steps done above have not gotten me to a usable speed.

I think I may need an Apache administrator who is truly expert in setting up VPS accounts. Don't know how to do that.

I have to think there are other sites that have a larger number of attributes that have made it work.

thanks
    Last edited by Kim; 15 Mar 2012 at 03:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Too many attributes? Store too slow

Quote Originally Posted by rliddle View Post
    I have done the recommendations from this thread that I could. https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21
    What do you mean by "that I could"? Which points did you skip, and why?
    What are your parse times?
    If you're running a managed VPS then the Webserver Tuning Tips link, in the same article you quoted, contains several things for the VPS manager to study and implement.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

hmmm parse times are not showing. have it turned on.
    and not commented out here.
    includes/templates/bluecart/common/tpl_main_page.php

Line #171 : <div class="smallText center">Parse Time: <?php echo $parse_time; ?> - Number of Queries: <?php echo $db->queryCount(); ?> - Query Time: <?php echo $db->queryTime(); ?></div>

<!--bof- parse time display -->
    <?php
    if (DISPLAY_PAGE_PARSE_TIME == 'true') {
    ?>
    <div class="smallText center">Parse Time: <?php echo $parse_time; ?> - Number of Queries: <?php echo $db->queryCount(); ?> - Query Time: <?php echo $db->queryTime(); ?></div>
    <?php
    }
    ?>
    <!--eof- parse time display -->

Plugin Contributions

Regarding https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21

I did 1,2,3, and 4 except these parts in 4.
    - Enable Price Factor -- If you're not using price-by-attributes support, turn this off to stop those calculations and the related queries
    - Enable Qty Price Discount -- If you're not doing quantity discounts, turn this off
    as I am using those.
    5. Not applicable
    6. Put them into categories
    7 not appicable, only slow on product pages
    8. did gzip
    9. did this
    10. did this
    11. working on
    12. this is where I get lost.

Plugin Contributions

OK got parse time

Parse Time: 8.386 - Number of Queries: 1665 - Query Time: 7.37952516934

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, the parse time output shows that 7.4 seconds of the total 8.4 seconds used for preparing outputing the page was used up by database wait-time.
    So, it suggests that the bottleneck is the database, which suggests that MySQL isn't very well tuned ... ie: usually that means it needs more RAM allocated to various buffers in the my.cnf configuration settings that the server Administrator has access to configuring.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    So, the parse time output shows that 7.4 seconds of the total 8.4 seconds used for preparing outputing the page was used up by database wait-time.
    So, it suggests that the bottleneck is the database, which suggests that MySQL isn't very well tuned ... ie: usually that means it needs more RAM allocated to various buffers in the my.cnf configuration settings that the server Administrator has access to configuring.
    Thank you for the reply, now the issue. I don't have a server Administrator. Have asked Host Gator to tune it up. They replied with this. Hello,

"Thank you for contacting HostGator support. I ran an optimize against the database. A few updates were made but most tables were already up to date. We appreciate your patience. Please contact us again if you need further assistance."

I think I need a little more expertise. Any way to find that expertise?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You've described that your store requires the complexi ty of attributes that you've set up.
    But, if your hosting server isn't suitable for your needs, you may need to get a different service ... something tuned more appropriately for a database-driven ecommerce system.
    It could be that the server you're on has too many other customers, and thus is not able to handle the demand you're placing on it.
    Or, the VPS you've been put onto isn't equipped with enough resources to do the job.

Ask them how you can get more RAM available to MySQL, and how you can get them to tweak the my.cnf to make use of more RAM available to it.

Plugin Contributions

I moved server, (what a nightmare) and have slightly better numbers, but still not usable.

Parse Time: 6.054 - Number of Queries: 1665 - Query Time: 5.01710750447

Trying to get them to "get more RAM available to MySQL, and how you can get them to tweak the my.cnf to make use of more RAM available to it. "

But not having luck, getting them to understand it.

Plugin Contributions

I was having a similiar problem, and I leased a server to solve it. It costs me $99 monthly, but the response is lightning fast.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast