Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default <meta name="description" content="MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION" />

Hi All

can someone pls tell me how I go about putting something in here
    <meta name="description" content="MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION" />

I tried with the developers tool kit, which gives me the location
    of includes/templates/cs1/common/html_header.php

However I am not sure how to edit this.

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION; ?>" />

The url is www.colourshield.com/store

Thanks

Regards
    RR

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: <meta name="description" content="MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION" />

Apparently you've deleted teh define for MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION from your meta_tags.php language file.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: <meta name="description" content="MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION" />

Hi Dr. Byte

Not me...the person that upgraded the zen 132 for me.
    however as it's missing what should I do..to fix this problem.

Thanks
    Regards
    RR

Plugin Contributions

Sorry is this what you mean

// Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'Colour Shield is a unique Patented Car Paint Protection producing a Superior Shine. Waxing or Polishing become needless');

Plugin Contributions

Uhmmm I confused Sensei.

The following red text perhaps should not be there I say this as I dont have it in /html/store/includes/templates/template_default/common/:
    only in includes/templates/my_template/common/<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
    <head>
    <title><?php echo META_TAG_TITLE; ?></title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo META_TAG_KEYWORDS; ?>" />

<?php if ($current_page!='index' || (int)$cPath>0 ) { ?><meta name="description" content="<?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION; ?>" />
    <?php } else { ?>
    <meta name="description" content="<?php echo MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION; ?>" />
    <?php } ?>

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />

Is this the reason that the description is not echo'd..my meta_tags.php files appear to be correct when win merged identical in every way except for the descruption..of course. So as I am no expert is it safe to say that if I delete everything in red, my problem will be fixed? Many Thanks RR

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Renz View Post
    is it safe to say that if I delete everything in red, my problem will be fixed? Many Thanks RR
    I'd be reluctant to delete anything from that code snippet because it looks like it would be far too easy to introduce a syntax error if not careful.

If you want a 'dirty' but relatively 'safe' fix, change:

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION; ?>

To something like:

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo "This is the text you want to display"; ?>

Note that the text will need to be enclosed in quotes ""

Another, possibly better solution would be to change it to read
    <meta name="description" content="<?php echo HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION; ?>

This assumes that 'HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION' *has* been properly defined.

The final, and probably 'best' solution would be to add the missing define. At a guess, if you locate the code that you referenced earlier, namely

--------------------------------------------------------
    // Home Page Only:
    define('HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION', 'Colour Shield is a unique Patented Car Paint Protection producing a Superior Shine. Waxing or Polishing become needless');
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Than add a new line just after (or just before this) that reads something like;
    define('MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION', 'Colour Shield is a unique Patented Car Paint Protection producing a Superior Shine. Waxing or Polishing become needless');
    --------------------------------------------------------------

The error will also go away and you'll be able to edit the text to suit whatever you require when MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION is used.

As far as I can determine MY_IMPORTANT_HOME_PAGE_DESCRIPTION is NOT a part of the standard zencart code, which is why you will need to create a new 'define'.

Hopefully this helps more than it has the potential to confuse.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

HI Rod,

thanks for your detailed reply. I considered everything after comparing the zen cart files with the original and I can see that that snippet should not be there at all. All I can suggest is that somehow it got introduced a couple of years ago when somone upgarded a zen version for me.. I think it basically stops the echo of the meta_tags.php. and it's not that the define is missing on that page.

Having tried a delete of that snippit.. the page appears to function as it should http://www.colourshield.com/store well at least I think so....The description now appears correctly if you view source on that page.

I truly hope I did the right thing and not broken something, though if the code is not on the original zen html_header.php I would guess I did good (or should I say hope)

All the Best
    Renz

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Renz View Post
    Having tried a delete of that snippit.. the page appears to function as it should http://www.colourshield.com/store well at least I think so....The description now appears correctly if you view source on that page.

I truly hope I did the right thing and not broken something,
    I think it is pretty safe to assume that you didn't break anything with the deletion. If you had, you'd certainly know about the first time you went to the page.

Cheers
    Rod

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The correct solution would be to leave the html_header.php file alone, and simply add the missing define to the language file, as I described initially.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr. Byte,

Unfortunately, I am not as knowledgeable as you in php matters, and I had to take some action, 'other than being told I deleted soemthing' as I said in this post, that the define was not missing it was there.
    I dont understand why you say I should have left it (html_header.php) alone, when it was not a page from zen cart a page that bears your signature, I am sure you have your reasons but without some explanation to a novice I am none the wiser, I do know that having made that html_header.php original to what it was when I downloaded zen cart the, problem has gone and all seems fine..

Kind Regards
    Renz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast