Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems since host upgraded PHP to suPHP

Schoolboy,

I think people who read your negative comments about my new web host need to understand your comments in some context. The webite of the company in your Zen Cart profile, presumably the company you work for, has an affiliation to another UK web host that your company "strongly recommends". Interestingly the web host that your company stronly recommends offers Zen Cart as a one click install, despite your comments about this being the "worst possible way to install complex sodtware".

I think people who read your post about my UK host being "clearly incompetent" should understand your affiliation to another UK host that is a competitor of my host.

I'm just trying to get some balance here as your negative comments were, in my veiw, unnecessary strong.

Plugin Contributions

Ok ok, thats enough.

I think this is a bit my fault. I was only trying to point out the facts so that things were plain and simple for other people coming to read this thread from other sources. You must understand people repost this stuff and blog about these things all the time giving misinformation on the net. I wanted to make sure it was accurate.

As for me being a "Lead Developer", that I am not. That honor belongs only to Ian, Chris, Linda and Kim. I have been here since day one and am on the support team with a few others but that is my current role.

It is important to point out that there are literally hundreds of ways to setup servers to work and literally thousands of combinations of things that can go wrong. It has nothing to do with being incompetent. It has more to do with the interest of streamlining the way the server works to be compatible with the way Zen Cart runs. Most hosts don't do this because their customer base does not dictate that.

Ratmonkey, you simply got tangled up in a configuration that wasn't streamlined for what you needed and your host was trying their best under the circumstances to make things work with the current configuration they had. It ended up producing the weird issue you were having with shared ssl.
    Windows, BSD, Linux, Cisco, Hardware & IT Security Tech
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting

Qdixon's Security Blog

Plugin Contributions

Firstly, I am sorry if YOU were offended by my comments about your host. My remarks are aimed at them. I take Qdixon's point that there are literally thousands of ways servers can be set up, and different hosts have their "reasons" for certain configurations.

However... your first post on these "problems" appeared in 18 March.

It is now 4th May.

All that time, you have not had a functioning webshop.

So you have had nearly 9 weeks of "down-time".

That means you are 9 weeks "behind schedule". While there is no "tangible standard" for the time a site goes live, to the time it starts taking orders, it may interest you to know that on one occasion a couple of years ago, we STARTED work on a new ZC site at 9am in the morning, and by 3.30pm that afternoon it was getting sales. (It was an urgent job that needed a shop to take advantage of a breaking ad campaign in regional newspapers).

Our current webhost is the result of several tearful experiences (like you are now having), and in this regard we are ruthless. After a while (some 4 years ago now) the instant a host demonstrated the slightest degree of "improper" hosting (for zencart), we moved on.

Time is money in eCommerce. An "inadequate host" is probably the costliest impediment to an eCommerce site.

Since hosting with our current host (and we have a LARGE number of clients on their servers) we have never ever had a single second of down-time. And we've been with them for a while now.

We do 3 to 4 zencart installation every month, and do these manually (even though Softaculous is available), and our "record" for a custom install (with a custom template) is just under 15 minutes. (ie: from zero to working custom website in under 15 minutes.)

9 weeks later, and you're still demonstrating a blind loyalty to a host that is holding you back. That's something I really find difficult to understand.

I am not writing this to "boast" of our "prowess" (we have a lot of experience in ZC, and have been involved in websites since 1993). I am hopefully illustrating to you that if your objective is to start an online business, and make money... you're allowing a supplier to completely dictate whether that happens - or not.

Just change your supplier, that's all...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, Qdixon,

I have just found that I can solve the session expiry problem with a blank php.ini file. In other words I do not need to turn suhosin session encryption off, I just need a completely empty php.ini file to exist. I have tried this with a fresh Zen Cart install to be sure, and it works.

Freaky stuff. I have no idea what's going on here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234