Default Odd problem with configure.php when trying to upgrade

I've uploaded all the files to my ftp site, and changed includes/configure.php permissions to 644. I goto my website/zc_install, click continue, select I have read and agree, click continue, and it tells me "store configure.php is not writeable"

I check the file permissions, and they are changed back to 444. I change them back to 644, and click "Re-Check" at the bottom of the page, and the file permissions instantly change back to 444. I've tried changing them to 666, and 777, but the second I click recheck, the permissions get changed back to 444.

I called my webhost, and they said something in the upgrade script is changing the permissions. Of course they're point the finger the other way.

Also, I've deleted the entire zc_install directory and reuploaded hoping something went wrong during the ftp upload, but that didn't work.

Anybody encounter this before?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Odd problem with configure.php when trying to upgrade

Some servers (usually Windows) don't allow you to change permissions using FTP. Try the File Manager in your hosting control panel.

Thank you for the reply.

My webhost uses linux and apache. The back end is cpanel. I tried using the cpanel file manager, but the permissions still change.

This is weird. I was going to build a virtual xp WAMP setup and try to upgrade it that way.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're doing an UPGRADE, then it doesn't matter that your configure.php files are not writable.

If you're doing a fresh install, then setting the configure.php files to writable will allow zc_install to set the correct contents.
    HOWEVER, the storefront will attempt to make the files read-only if you access the storefront at any time. So, if you're going to www.mysite.com instead of properly going to www.mysite.com/zc_install in order to do your install, then you're causing yourself the problems you mention.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Good to know. Thanks doc!