Plugin Contributions

Default Copied files new folder. Duplicate DB. Copied 1.5 file over. OK. Delete all files...

Hi
    Following these instructions (sort of)
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98

Created duplicate DB
    Copied all files to /new folder
    Point config files to new db
    /zc_install/ updated DB.. fine all working

Copied 1.5 files over (without deleting 1.3.8 files)

fine all working

Now i was left with a mix of 1.38 and 1.5 files... presumably. Due to template overwrite system etc. Also ZC still using the cache from the old (original folder)

Deleted all files apart from config files.

Copied over JUST 1.5 files.

Now its hanging.. cant get to catalog or shop

The instructions https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 dont say anything about ever deleting the old files just copying new ones on top.

Its just hanging... i remember before for something i used a fix cache key.. buy its been removed now

What can i do?
    Last edited by creamcrackers; 25 Mar 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Copied files new folder. Duplicate DB. Copied 1.5 file over. OK. Delete all files

also been using these instructions https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122

since ive moved to a new folder.. its using settings from the old zc in orginal folder so ive tried changing these

includes/configure

// these paths are relative to top of your webspace ... (ie: under the public_html or httpdocs folder)
    define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/zencart15/');
    define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/zencart15/');

zencart15 is the new folder

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/xxx/public_html/zencart15/');

define('DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE', '/home/xxx/zencart15/cache');

did same for admin/configure

still hanging...

oh im so utterly depressed over this. Ive spent a year trying on and off then most of a month trying to upgrade to 1.39 then they brought out 1.5

I wanted to outsource this but all the people doing it seem to be russians and i dont trust them with my database

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Copied files new folder. Duplicate DB. Copied 1.5 file over. OK. Delete all files

I'm trying to make sense out of your descriptions of what you have done, but I can't seem to follow exactly what you've done.

It looks like you are trying to do two things:

1. UPGRADE your site.
    2. MOVE your site.

UPGRADING should be done before a MOVE (if possible).

UPGRADING involves two fundamental processes:

i) Upgrading FILES
    ii) Upgrading the DATABASE

On the FILES side of this procedure, you will have what are known as CORE FILES, and (if you have set up your zencart correctly) some CUSTOM FILES.

CORE FILES are the set of DEFAULT files that make a standard installation of zencart operative.

The CUSTOM FILES will be those that apply to your specific template, and in a lot of cases, will be customised files that relate to certain add-ons that you may have installed. Such CUSTOM FILES can be EXTRA FILES... or they can be MODIFICATIONS OF CORE FILES.

Regardless of whether they are EXTRA or EDITED COPIES OF CORE files, every one of these CUSTOM files should be checked for compatibility with their CORE COUNTERPART(s) in the upgrade version.

Let me give you an example, assuming your site is in English...

Your MAIN LANGUAGE FILE is called "english.php"

When you install zencart for the first time, it will load this file into the following location:

public_html/includes/languages/english.php

But you decide that there are some things in that language file that need changing, so you make a COPY of it, then EDIT that copy, and then send that copy to its OVER-RIDE folder:

public_html/includes/languages/THE_CUSTOM-FOLDER/english.php

The CORE file remains where it is, and is NEVER EDITED.

Now... you have TWO main language files:
    (CORE) public_html/includes/languages/english.php
    (CUSTOM) public_html/includes/languages/THE_CUSTOM-FOLDER/english.php

Zencart always looks for a CUSTOM FILE first. if it finds the custom file, it uses that one.

If it does NOT find a custom file, it uses the CORE file.

NOW... WHEN YOU UPGRADE...

You need to make sure that all the upgraded CORE FILES for the new version are loaded into the default areas (folders).

You then need to CHECK your CUSTOM files to see which of these need alterations. Remember... you made custom files out of COPIES of the previous version's core files...

... so, your CUSTOM files will still be the OLD VERSION, while your CORE FILES will be the NEW VERSION.

You can't just overwrite your original custom files with their new version counterparts... you will effectively LOSE your customisations!

So you have to manually make edits to affected original custom files.

How do you know WHAT original custom files are affected by the upgrade?

You check the CHANGE_LOG that accompanies every upgrade software set.

The CHANGE_LOG lists what files have been altered from the previous version.

If any files listed in the CHANGELOG are also files in your over-ride system, then these need to be manually edited to bring in any programming changes. So you make these changes, as well as keep your customisations.

When your CUSTOM FILES have been altered (where necessary) to bring them up to the upgrade's standards, you can FTP them to the server.

ONLY NOW is it possible to run the UPGRADE PROGRAM... a process that will upgrade your DATABASE.
    Last edited by schoolboy; 25 Mar 2012 at 04:25 PM.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help
    Yes it was an upgrade issue - posted in the upgrade area.

Problem turned out to be because i had my mysql server hosted remotely and they upgraded my server at the same time i tried the upgrade.. conincidence. That was giving me the back screen because server firewall was stopping the mysql connection after upgrade

Problem now... when i put a new template on the style sheet isnt loading

Its still running in /newfolder/

Do i need to make changes to my config files to refelct the new location? Id doesnt say that in the instructions link in my original post.

are there extra config settings i need to make to get it to run in /newfolder/ because im using the config file from 1.3.8 with the 1.5 fileset... which is what i end up with following the instructions.

Again what i did

a) Copied old 1.5 files into new folder
    b) made a duplicate DB v(or my 1.3.8 db)
    c) Copied my 1.3.8 *config* files into the new folder
    d) Rand database upgrade

Its working with my database.. obviously i have no pictures for the products

But when i install a template its not showing or loading the css

do i need to make more changes to the config files to get it to work in the /newfolder/

Then i need to move it back to the old folder once ive made a few manual changes to the files such as the html includes and meta tags which are not stored in the database

Plugin Contributions

Default Followed upgrade instructions but now can not install a NEW template

Hi
    I followed the simplified instructions for upgrade below.

Ive done all this. I now have ZC 1.5 running in my /newfolder/.
    I havent moved the installation back to the root public html yet.

All seems to work with the default green ZC template.

When i get another zen cart (1.5 compatible) template the style sheet wont load.

Having followed the below instructions i realise im using the 1.3.8a config files with `1.5. Also the config files were just copied from the root public html folder to /newfolder/. Is there some setting in the config files i need to change to get the stylesheets working propery? ... it seems to me maybe its picking up the standard green template from the ORIGINAL 1.38 installation in the root and its referencing the files from there?

B. If you have NO CUSTOMIZATIONS to preserve, here's a high-level overview/summary of a slightly shorter process:

Back up your site from the server as well as the copy on your computer.
    Backup your database
    Create a new directory and copy your site into it
    Then create a new database and load your old database in it
    Next, change the two configure.php files to utilize the new directory and database
    This way ... when you attempt to upgrade you are "practicing" to see where the problems, if any will happen
    Make sure all appears to be working on your temp site.
    Now load the "new" version files to your new temp directory (from latest downloaded ZIP)
    Run the http://www.your_domain_name.com/your...ite/zc_install
    Choose the Upgrade Database option
    Process each suggested step one at a time ... leave the first checkbox that the upgrader picked checked and uncheck the others.
    -Advantage is that you can see your problems step by step
    -Each time it completes it will recheck the boxes left to go.
    -Continue in this method until all boxes are unchecked.
    If you find you have issues, you are not hurting anything and can always start over without damage to your existing shop and live database.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    I'm trying to make sense out of your descriptions of what you have done, but I can't seem to follow exactly what you've done.

It looks like you are trying to do two things:

1. UPGRADE your site.
    2. MOVE your site.

UPGRADING should be done before a MOVE (if possible).

UPGRADING involves two fundamental processes:

i) Upgrading FILES
    ii) Upgrading the DATABASE

On the FILES side of this procedure, you will have what are known as CORE FILES, and (if you have set up your zencart correctly) some CUSTOM FILES.

CORE FILES are the set of DEFAULT files that make a standard installation of zencart operative.

The CUSTOM FILES will be those that apply to your specific template, and in a lot of cases, will be customised files that relate to certain add-ons that you may have installed. Such CUSTOM FILES can be EXTRA FILES... or they can be MODIFICATIONS OF CORE FILES.

Regardless of whether they are EXTRA or EDITED COPIES OF CORE files, every one of these CUSTOM files should be checked for compatibility with their CORE COUNTERPART(s) in the upgrade version.

Let me give you an example, assuming your site is in English...

Your MAIN LANGUAGE FILE is called "english.php"

When you install zencart for the first time, it will load this file into the following location:

public_html/includes/languages/english.php

But you decide that there are some things in that language file that need changing, so you make a COPY of it, then EDIT that copy, and then send that copy to its OVER-RIDE folder:

public_html/includes/languages/THE_CUSTOM-FOLDER/english.php

The CORE file remains where it is, and is NEVER EDITED.

Now... you have TWO main language files:
    (CORE) public_html/includes/languages/english.php
    (CUSTOM) public_html/includes/languages/THE_CUSTOM-FOLDER/english.php

Zencart always looks for a CUSTOM FILE first. if it finds the custom file, it uses that one.

If it does NOT find a custom file, it uses the CORE file.

NOW... WHEN YOU UPGRADE...

You need to make sure that all the upgraded CORE FILES for the new version are loaded into the default areas (folders).

You then need to CHECK your CUSTOM files to see which of these need alterations. Remember... you made custom files out of COPIES of the previous version's core files...

... so, your CUSTOM files will still be the OLD VERSION, while your CORE FILES will be the NEW VERSION.

You can't just overwrite your original custom files with their new version counterparts... you will effectively LOSE your customisations!

So you have to manually make edits to affected original custom files.

How do you know WHAT original custom files are affected by the upgrade?

You check the CHANGE_LOG that accompanies every upgrade software set.

The CHANGE_LOG lists what files have been altered from the previous version.

If any files listed in the CHANGELOG are also files in your over-ride system, then these need to be manually edited to bring in any programming changes. So you make these changes, as well as keep your customisations.

When your CUSTOM FILES have been altered (where necessary) to bring them up to the upgrade's standards, you can FTP them to the server.

ONLY NOW is it possible to run the UPGRADE PROGRAM... a process that will upgrade your DATABASE.

Thanks... sorry re-read what you said

Yes - i have both upgraded and moved at the same time. That is what the instructions say.. to move into another folder and then updrade it.

I understand about the over-rides. and im not bothered about losing the changes. Actually what i did was to just delete ALL the 1.3.8 files. I can make the various text changes again to some of the new files manaually in a couple of hours not an issue.

But...

Since i have both moved to a new folder and upgraded... do i not need to THEN http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Change_Folders

Make these changes

So then i have a fully functional 1.5 ZC running in a different folder.. using a different database

I can then see what changes in the 1.3.8a i made.. minor stuff like meta tags in the files and a few other non-core changes and replicate that manually into the 1.5 set. When its all running smoothly... wipe the original install and copy the 1.5 files into the publich html director.. change the config files BACK (make sure i saved them first)... then it should all work?

Anyway this document sucks http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Change_Folders not at all useful as it doest say how to change the various bits of text in any details

Is this what i should be doing?

Plugin Contributions

OK...

Ive answered my own question

For the benefit of anyone else whos a bit weird and does things backwards ill leave this posting here.

If you are following the simple upgrade instructions.. and install your ZC in a new folder. And after upgrading if you want to make some changes to your upgraded zc before moving back into the root directory to replace the old version.. you DO need to make changes to your config files to reflect the new location in your /newfolder/

And change it back when you copy the updated site back

.. i did it this way because my old version had some problems so i basically wanted to clear it out and start again. So all the files are the latest correct and unmodified.

Some of my earlier modifications are still in the database in some unused tables but thats not an issue.