Plugin Contributions

Default How to make "City" field not mandatory?

Hi,

How can i make "city" or "state" field not mandatory? or remove it totally.

As i kept receiving check out error from my new customers. I hope this can be optional. Tks
    Last edited by Pxtures; 22 Mar 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to make "City" field not mandatory?

I am refering to the address book entry when buyer registered an account.

Can somebody help me?

Many thanks in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Will your payment processor work without Zencart passing the city and state information ?

You can set both State and City to 0 in Admin - Configuration - Minimum Values and set State to False in Customer Details. You'll have to edit tpl_modules_create_account_default.php to remove the City field from the sign up page.

Plugin Contributions

Tks for yor response Stevesh.
    My customer kept getting this error during check out using credit card (is via PayPal) when they need to fill out the address form + card details. Check out by PayPal is ok. See error below:

ALERT: PayPal Express Checkout Error (10728)
    10728 ##Shipping Address City Empty - The field Shipping Address City is required

I am based in Singapore, when my local customers attempt to fill out the credit card form in PayPal, the first thing is to select which "country". After select "Singapore" from the drop down menu, the "City" and "State" will automatically removed from the form. Probably Singapore is so small, it doesnt apply here. And we all know that.

However, the check out cannot go through with the error above.
    zen-cart Address Book Entry for customer sign up page seems still required "City" in the address book entry.

I have tried set "0" and also "blank" in customer details under configurations before i post this but it doesnt work. I also tried to remove the entire city related script in the file you suggested but still doesnt work. As i am not a php person, i guess need to know to delete from which line to which to be exact. Maybe also have to remove from other supporting files to make it complete?

Are you able to provide me with detail advise?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Pxtures; 23 Mar 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You said that you've modified your store to prevent your customers from supplying a CITY value. So, you're telling Zen Cart to submit no CITY with its transactions.

But, since PayPal requires that a value for CITY be submitted with the transaction, it would be simplest to simply ask your customers for a CITY value.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You said that you've modified your store to prevent your customers from supplying a CITY value. So, you're telling Zen Cart to submit no CITY with its transactions.

But, since PayPal requires that a value for CITY be submitted with the transaction, it would be simplest to simply ask your customers for a CITY value.
    Hi Dr Byte,

Tks for writing back.

First of all i must say I really like zencart template, it is strong is design and user friendly.
    Because Singapore is a City itself, we are just a small island. I guess the real problem is with PayPal mis handling the info.

it used to be working fine for more than 10 mths until recently my customers are unable to check out. I called up PayPal tech support 2 days ago, they offer appology for the check out error which shouldn't happen, there is some bug need to be fixed. It happened to Hong Kong last September that people were not able to check out with credit card, asking for City field to be filled, which customers already did. They fixed it.

The tech support actually check out my webstore himself with a credit card and realise that he also couldn't do so but not for other countries. If you trying to fill out the credit card form within the PayPal, the first thing is to choose the country. After select "Singapore", City and State field disappear automatically. Probably we are just a small country, we dont fill out city and state in a form actually when apply for a credit card. It is understood.

But because of this, it create some conflicts. Not sure why, he is getting the engineer to fix the bug, currently is still not fix.

My customers are facing the same problem. They are in Singapore and they received the same error. I notice the problem begin to appear around February 2012. Before that, no such problem. I'm not sure this is something zen cart can fix or not. But I think it is most likely caused by PayPal side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pxtures View Post
    Hi Dr Byte,

Tks for writing back.

First of all i must say I really like zencart template, it is strong is design and user friendly.
    Because Singapore is a City itself, we are just a small island. I guess the real problem is with PayPal mis handling the info.

it used to be working fine for more than 10 mths until recently my customers are unable to check out. I called up PayPal tech support 2 days ago, they offer appology for the check out error which shouldn't happen, there is some bug need to be fixed. It happened to Hong Kong last September that people were not able to check out with credit card, asking for City field to be filled, which customers already did. They fixed it.

The tech support actually check out my webstore himself with a credit card and realise that he also couldn't do so but not for other countries. If you trying to fill out the credit card form within the PayPal, the first thing is to choose the country. After select "Singapore", City and State field disappear automatically. Probably we are just a small country, we dont fill out city and state in a form actually when apply for a credit card. It is understood.

But because of this, it create some conflicts. Not sure why, he is getting the engineer to fix the bug, currently is still not fix.