Plugin Contributions

Default Search box bringing to many results

I'm having problems with the search box on our website. It seems to bring back way too many results that don't have anything to do with what you search for.

For example. Our site is a hosiery site.

If you search for Red Tights it brings up everything with Tights in the title, every product with the word Red & Tights as metatag keyword & everything with the word tights in the meta tag description.

This is bringing up products that simple aren't anything to do with the original search of "Red Tights"

Is there anyway to configure the search option at all??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Search box bringing to many results

I've been searching for hours for a solution to what sounds the same problem.

e.g. If I search for lights, i get numerous results, the only thing in common is that they contain 'li'
    I have a couple of test sites and they behave exactly the same, so I do not think I've corrupted a file ~ I've even replaced all the 'search' related files with the original installation files to rule this out.

As a fix, I'm thinking perhaps somehow setting the search string to have a minimum length, better still somehow enabling/filtering/restricting the search to whole words only.

I guess some might think this too limiting (less clever) but if a customer spells the item correctly then surely they should be rewarded with the item they are looking for rather than pages of items ~ and the item they are looking for is on page 7!

I can live with their frustration when they type 'li' it does not return 'lights'!

Any clues please?

Plugin Contributions

Default Search Results Find too Many Items and Part Words

Is there a way to limit the search result to find only whole words? At the moment it finds part words which is pretty annoying. For example, if someone searched "Ella" then it'd find everything that's called "Cinderella".

Is there a way to stop this so that only whole words are searched and not parts of words?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Search Results Find too Many Items and Part Words

For anyone else researching this, I think I've found a solution, here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82408

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, I thought this would have worked but it doesn't work fully and I can't understand why. Here's what I've done so far:

Edit the file modules\pages\advanced_search_result\header_php.php to make the following changes:

Change the line 325 from this:
    Code:
    $where_str .= " OR pd.products_description
    LIKE '%:keywords%'";

To this
    Code:
    $where_str .= " OR MATCH(pd.products_description) AGAINST ('%:keywords%' IN BOOLEAN MODE)";

Then, our hosting provider has edited our my.conf file, adding the following code:
    Code:
    ft_min_word_len=3
    I can't understand why it has worked from some searches but not others. Maybe someone here can see what's causing this. Before I implemented the changes above, when I searched "ella" it would bring up results with the word within a word, like "cinderella". Now, when I search "ella" it's doing what I want and only finding the whole word results for "ella".

However, it's still finding part word results with other searches. For example, search the word "des" and it finds thirty nine pages of results as it's picking up words like "design" and "desire".

Try another one and search, "range" and it finds thirteen pages of results because of the word "orange".

I can't understand why it cured the "ella", "cinderella" but it hasn't cured anything else. Anyone?
    Last edited by limelites; 3 Jan 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Is there any way to show the result of the search sorted in model number? Thank you for the help